Sharpharp1
Apprentice

Re: Unhappy about migration options in K2

Can anyone answer these simple questions on editing v4.7 forms and k2 studio workflows in K2 Five?

If upgrading from K2 v4.7 to K2 Five, can you still edit your existing v4.7 Smartforms? -If so, how? K2 Five Designer is using the the same designer URL as previous versions, so will you be able to edit existing v4.7 Smartforms on K2 Five? If this is not possible, i will be extremely dissapointed.

I know it's been said that Legacy tools like K2 Studio will still work to edit and update older workflows, but can any customers confirm this is the case and does not break any functions/events?

I feel a rant coming on, but i'll wait for the above answers first...

0 Kudos
EmilyK
Apprentice

Hi Sharpharp1,

Yes, you can still edit 4.7 forms in K2 Five - IF you have upgraded from 4.7 to K2 Five. A clean K2 Five installation does not install the legacy designers.

When you navigate to the Designer URL, you will be able to edit the 4.7 forms in the legacy Silverlight designer.
akumar
Apprentice

Hello,

You can edit the k2 form in k2 five there is no issue. Legacy tool is availble only for workflow and this will be availble only if you have upgraded the k2 4.7 server into k2 5 . If you have a clean installation then legacy tool wont be avaiblle. 

The URL for designer and managment will be same along with k2 studiok2 for visual studio. 

Having said there is some issue when you are upgrading the solution. To edit the legacy workflow in k2 5 what do you do. please find the below steps.

1.Create the same project solution on k2 5 with existing name.

2.Add the existing project items as Process in the solution.

3. Try editing the legacy workflow and deploy it. 

Reason why i said above steps in some scenario when you will open the legacy solution then this throw an error but if you create a solution and add the process on k2 5 then it work. 

For Smart forms and smart object you don't have to do anything. 

Let me know if you are still unclear about it. 

Thanks.

LastSamurai
Scholar

100% agree with you
i am planning for upgrade from 4.6.11 to K2 5 side by side and based on this post and most of the replies i see the safest path is to upgrade to 4.7 first then to K2 5, can anyone confirm this ?
0 Kudos
CraigBrook
Apprentice

I believe this is the required path anyway and I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong here.

we did a side by side update due to requirements that we had.  

0 Kudos
Mikhail2
Apprentice

If by side-by-side migration you mean installing clean 5.x server keeping your old 4.6.x or 4.6.11 server alive then migrate solutions to new box using PnD then it wont work as you cannot deploy from 4.7 or older to 5.x - as explained in "Package and Deployment between K2 Versions" KB. To get your 4.6.x/7 solutions in K2 you will need to do in place upgrade to 5.x. With some expirience you can do 5.x installation on clean server which has no K2 components and let it upgrade copy of your existing K2 4.7 DB.

What I would recommend you is to keep your old version installation alive in VM or somehow else in case you will need to check some rules which may lose their configuration in some way. A lot of people get upset about this part, but this all should be well known if you upgrade from older versions to 4.6.11 and beyond - ever sinse there is some ALM improvements which sometimes start to highlight rules and other configuration issues which were not highlighted before - this causes a bit of pain to iron this out, but saves you from the pain of deployment bad things into upstream environments.

If you want your upgrade to be smoot, read release notes, compatibility matrix. And most importantly test, test, test. Most common erro I see is when customers generously allow 2 week between upgrades of their environments yet fail to do complete functional testing of their solutions and forms within these time even with 4 weeks of testings and two environments before production, people fail to faind broken bits - just because no real testing was made beyon I can open some forms and Management/Workspace. Trust me these tests must be OK by default but you need to test that workflos flow through entire execution flow and all your form UIs are fully functional - failing to do this during test upgrade is the most common error causing most of the frustration.

For legacy designers no longer supported it is a necessary evil, otherwise there is no way to move product evolution forward. And if you explore migration options this is not that abrupt and only thing we can complain about is redesigning of workflows - which optimist should consider as an oportunity to revisit workflow design and improve it, documenting it along the way. Providing that vast majority of worflows will keep running and your only problem is editing them (alleviated by ability to stick with legacy designers for some time) transition can be graceful and controlled (with some working hours investments, yes).

0 Kudos
PYao
Apprentice

After attending the K2 Five Core training, I find some integration points missing from 5.2 compared to 4.7.
1. No SmO integration with client event/email that passes SN through. I have custom email code based on external data to populate To/CC with SN in the email. 5.2 - no SmO connectivity.

2. I use IF(condition, A, else B) inline function to assign destination but read the IF isn't available?

3. No Process Finish Rule (nice to have in 4.7, not deal breaker) - we use this as a catch-all to prevent any premature completion in silence due to line conditions not matching (through SmO).

4. Reduced customization/integration in user destination to support custom delegation.

4.7 support should not end until all integration capabilities that 4.7 can call external code are in K2 Five.

0 Kudos
Mikhail2
Apprentice

@PYao For point (2) - this indeed was missing feature in 5.0-5.2, one of the clients logged idea on ideas.k2.com to get this functionality back to the product, some people voted for it and we now have confirmation that this functionality is already available in K2 Cloud Update 7 and it will be available in the next release of K2 Five later this year. You can see more details here: https://ideas.k2.com/ideas/APIT-I-468

0 Kudos