Solved

Transfer data to different form

• 16 August 2022
  • 6 replies

Good Day

I'm new to k2 and i have a system requirement that needs me to transfer information from one form state to another.
i understand i'd have to use a parameter , but im not sure how i would go about capturing that ID on the one from to another on different states(task).

i need that id to execute a list method to populate some controls.

icon

Best answer by DavidL2 17 August 2022, 19:45

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13
I think I'd need more details on how you are designing your system to provide assistance... Are you filling in data one one form, clicking a button to open another form that should include some kind of data from the first form? Or would you be relying on a dashboard of some sort where you would open forms/tasks in various states?
yes, I'm filling in data on one form than click a button to open another form that include some data from the first form

so basically its one of the tasks where by a user(developer) submits a form which yes has controls filled out. when the button is clicked it executes another task for another user(the support) which contains a form that should displays some of that information captured by the developer.

i know i need to somehow capture the id from form 1 to form 2 so i can then execute the list method but im not sure how i do that if information is being passed between two seperate states.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Ok, so if I am understanding correctly there are two different workflow tasks that you want to share data between. I think the best way to do this is to utilize the "Folio" workflow property. When the developer submits the form which presumably starts the workflow, you will have the option to set the "Folio" of the workflow process instances. Use the ID value as this folio. Then, when the next step of the workflow opens, you can use the "Folio" value to read the data by ID. Please let me know if that makes sense or if I am misunderstanding the issue

I would like to suggest a better way than using the folio.  The folio is like the subject line on an email: its purpose is to quickly convey to the user brief information about the workflow instance.  It is not generally used to store data.

In your first form where you submit the request, you are probably using a SmartObject to store the data, maybe a database, a SharePoint List, or some other data store.  When you store it, the SmartObject should be set up such that returns the unique identifier of the record that was stored.  If you are using a database that would be the primary key.  

In your workflow, create a datafield of a compatible data type to hold this unique identifier.  Then in your submission form after saving the data, start the workflow passing the unique identifier to the datafield in your workflow.  In the next user step in your workflow, you can pass this datafield as a querystring parameter to the form.   The form when it opens uses this parameter to load the appropriate data from the datastore via your SmartObject.

If you haven't had a chance yet, you might want to check out the product training available on Nintex University.  As you progress through the training modules it guides you through building an application with the technique I discussed above.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi @endinakho and @tbyrne777,

First of all - the purpose of the Folio field is to provide a unique name for a Workflow Instance - it IS NOT used to pass data between tasks, even though you could do this, it is not good practice to do so.

The correct way of passing data between tasks is via parameters. In your Workflow you will have a running ID (I'm assuming saved to a SmartObject), on the developer task, all the details will be saved to this record. When the process then moves to the Support task, you will pass the ID as a parameter to the Task Form where you will do a load on the SmartObject to retrieve the data entered in the Developer task.

Happy to help out if you need more help.

Regards,

Ernie