Solved

SmartForms Attachments

• 9 November 2018
  • 3 replies

Badge +8

Hi All

Looking for some advice on using file attachments in SmartForms List View

The smartform I'm using needs the ability to upload attachments and then when required show these to the user in a list view.  They must also be able to download to PC if required.

I've created a customer SmartBoix SO to store the attachments which works fine.

However the issue I have is that when I'm using the GetList method on the view the performance is really poor because I'm guessing the attachments are being loaded into the browser.  My idea is that I have I can just show the attachment name and then when the user clicks on the name it triggers a Load method to go away and fetch the file.

Any general comments on how people are doing this and general use of attachments in Smartforms much appreciated

thanks

Paul

icon

Best answer by psturmey 28 November 2018, 15:04

View original

3 replies

Hello,

This is a great workaround. You will need the following tools.

#1. Create a Item View to be pulled back.

#2. Create a Rule when List Item is Clicked or double Clicked.

#3. Use the For Each Item In a List View condition, choose Selected Items.

#4. Pass the ID of the selected item into the Item View on a Open a Subform rule.

Badge +9

Hi Paul,

Yes that workaround should work.

Have the list view display a list of Files, but only show the Filenames, when a user double clicks on a row, execute a rule that will load the SmartObject, to retrieve the file.

However, you might still experience the slow performance, as i think that the File content will still be retrieved from the SmartObject.

Have you perhaps looked at different data sources? Like SharePoint?

-Jean

Badge +8
In the end I decided to use a smartobject connected to a Sharepoint library which gives me a lot more flexibility on how the files are retrieved and managed. I also like the fact that I have visibility of the files in Sharepoint whereas in a SmartBox they are encoded into the database.