Solved

Should I stand up a new SQL Server for K2 content?

• 18 December 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

Hi fellow travelers - 

We are starting to outgrow SharePoint and are considering using MS SQL Server as a more capable data source. We're looking at projects with hundreds of thousands of records at the least.

What we're wondering is, should we create new SQL databases inside our existing server that hosts the K2 application database, or stand up an entirely new server and database in order to avoid bogging down that server? 

We have an on-prem K2 Five installation, with an app server running Designer/Management, and a separate database server. On 5.1 right now but will be upgrading to K2 5.2 soon. We have about 45,000 overall users but our concurrent usage is probably in the tens or hundreds at any given time.

Thanks for your help!

icon

Best answer by DavidL1 19 December 2018, 15:58

View original

4 replies

Badge +11

SharePoint looks like a database since it has rows and columns, but you will find it does not perform like a database.  A true database will perform much better.  You can place this database either on the same SQL Server containing the K2 database or on a seperate one.  Many customers place their database on the same database server that holds the K2 database, but this depends on how loaded your SQL Server is releative to activity.  You may need a DBA to take some measurements of overall load on the SQL Server.  If you're not sure, you can start out with the database on the same SQL server and then move it to a new SQL Server in the future if you need to increase capacity.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

With the user load numbers that you are presenting, I would recommend standing up seperate SQL Servers to distrubute the load as much as possible.

Badge +3
We'll be doing so shortly! Looking forward to having more capability than SharePoint can provide, but I'll be lurking on the forum to find out best practices for administering said database. Appreciate your help!
Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I highly recommend both SQL server and creating a separate database for your SQL objects, not keeping them in the K2 database. At tens to hundreds of users, I think a single server would be able to take care of that load, of course, this is dependent on the server's capacity. I would simply stand both databases up together and see how it performs.