Schedule Reminders for specific time in batch format

I have a requirement identified to send reminders for incomplete tasks at 1 pm each day, no matter when the task is created that day. Additionally, users would prefer one reminder email over having one per incomplete task. This task is not to the same role/same user as it is split between different departments.  This is a task that has to be completed by 2 pm in order to meet another deadline another department has to complete. 

I haven't seem to find a way to achieve this within the workflow that is designed. Since the task can be started at various times throughout the morning, I can't create a field that would add hours because that wouldn't match the 1 pm deadline. 

Would this have to be done as a separate workflow? Additionally, I'm not sure how to go from individual to a batch format. I was looking at reports, but there doesn't seem to be a report that is worried about just the SmartObject that is storing all of the information that would need to be displayed.  

Right now we plan on turning off notifications and just having another staff member send a reminder out via email to have users check to see if they have any pending tasks. 

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I can't think of an out-of-box way to do this short of a seperate workflow that runs at 1pm and does some custom querying to batch up all open tasks by user and send one e-mail to each user.

While I sort of follow the concept of what is suggested, I'm lost at how to actually create a separate workflow that would then be triggered. When I go to create a new Workflow, I need a way to start a workflow - either from a Form or from SharePoint. 

I looked at the Conditionally Start portion, but I can't figure out which object to even use under Date and Time wihtin the Functions. 

I was hoping that someone has had to do something familiar or if there was some sort of template to at least start from. I can't imagine that this wouldn't be something that would not be requested by many others. This is an item that is showing up frequently in any discussions I have about Workflows with my organization. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

This might be something better accomplished as a scheduled job on SQL server, where you can query for outstanding tasks in the K2 database and send an e-mail about them at a specific time.

While it is possible to create a workflow that is always running (you manually kick it off once via the Management site and it loops back to start) I've found that approach difficult to maintain in the real world as it is hard to tell when it dies, what to do to restart it appropriately, etc. It is a possible option to consider though.

Badge +10

Did you ever figure out how to do this?  My management wants a bulk email to go out either daily / weekly to individual users with ALL of their outstanding tasks. 

Trying to figure out what SQL Tables to link up into from K2 in order to accomplish this.