LydiaCochran
Scholar

Re: PDFs are greyed out with green Spinner in middle

Jump to solution

I was getting ready to create a support ticket for this exact issue. I will wait a couple of days to see if a solution is posted here. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Sharpharp1
Apprentice

Jump to solution

Update for everyone - We had a K2 support call yesterday with Chris and ticket support and still couldn't fix the issue, so still on-going.

My personal feeling is that the K2 5.3 upgrade has broken the forms which were upgraded from v4.7.

The rules are set to "follow on one after the other", but my own tests reveal that this is not the case.

For example if i put a message box before the SAVE AS PDF method, logic suggests that you click OK on the box and then the PDF conversation happens after. Reality is, the Message Box is being rendered in the PDF, so the rule sequence is not working properly in the legacy forms as would suggest.

This would explain why the PDF is greyed out and the spinner is shown, ots because whatever actions are going on before it are not completing before the PDF conversion happens. i.e. in the live form, i'm saving the form data, perhaps that is still in motion when the PDF conversion happens.

Also tried adding a Timer delay of 15 seconds before conversation... the delay was only a couple of seconds, so again this suggests that the sequence of rules is not working in 5.3

The amount of troubleshooting i've done for this is ridiculous, in the meantime this doesn't make for a good customer experience for our users.

@Lydia, thanks for pitching in, might be interesting to know if you or anyone else could possibly try some of the above tests to confirm whether this is the case for you? I get same results on dev and live environments.

Regards,

0 Kudos
LydiaCochran
Scholar

Jump to solution
I agree that something is off with rule timing. I put a Save As PDF rule under the After the Workflow action was submitted rule. My pdf is greyed out with the Worklist item submitted successfully notification displayed. I would expect to have to click OK on the notification to end the worklist task before the Save As PDF rule kicks off.
0 Kudos
ChrisW2
Apprentice

Jump to solution
Hi all,

If you suspect something is wrong with the rule execution, please feel free to test this out. The more information you can give our support team, the better, since we use this information to improve the product and fix bugs.

If you can reproduce the bug in a different environment, you can send our support team clear steps on how to reproduce (for example "deploy this package, click this button") and they can try this themselves. If they do manage to reproduce, they can report back to our Labs team who will then be able to fix the bug.

Here's more information on how to manually troubleshoot Forms during Runtime:

https://help.k2.com/onlinehelp/k2five/userguide/5.3/default.htm#Create/Forms/DebuggingForms.htm%3FTo...

Here's a video that explains the above as well:

https://help.k2.com/displaycontent.aspx?id=6241

I would suggest trying to reproduce the issue by rebuilding the Form/View from scratch, and seeing which rule causes it to go wrong.

You can also have a look at the SourceCode.Forms.Runtime.Error log in the K2 BlackpearlHost ServerBin directory, if this is enabled in the Runtime web.config.

Kind regards,
Chris
0 Kudos
js2
Novice

Jump to solution

Hi Sharpharp1,

We are experiencing almost the same issue. Was K2 Support able to resolve the issue?

Thanks,

Justin

0 Kudos
js2
Novice

Jump to solution

Hi Lydia,

We are experiencing almost the same issue. Was K2 Support able to resolve the issue?

Thanks,

Justin

0 Kudos
Kabuz
Novice

Jump to solution

A few things you can try (sorry if some is repeating)

1. As many said try up the delay.

2. Move all rule execution into load on server rule (if possible).

Result:

PDF is fully white = something wrong is happening in your rules.

Wrong security settings, parameters set wrong as example.

Still showing grey spinner: Maybe CombinedResources loaded with an error.

Configure the host file so K2 always call itself on localhost and then do an /iisreset

Hope this helps

/Björn

Sello1
Apprentice

Jump to solution

Hi Justin,

I believe the issue was resoved. If you are exeperiencing the same issue after upgrading from 4.7 to K2 Five, then

follow the below steps to help remedy the issue :

- Navigate to K2 Management > Categories > System > Controls > Save as PDF > PDF Converter > Security tab
- Click on "INHERIT PERMISSIONS..." button
- After that Everyone will be configured as follows:
View: Inherited Allow; Modify: Inherited Allow; Delete: Inherited Allow; Security: None

This should work for Google Chrome, but if you are on IE you may still experience issue until youclear up the browser cache and do an IIS reset. Additionally,  you may want to clear up IIS cache by means of IIS reset. If the issue still persists,  follow the following steps:

1) Clear server side cache:
* Stop K2 Server
* Stop IIS: Run "iisreset /stop"
* Start K2 Server
* Start IIS: Run "iisreset /start"

2) If issue still persist for some IE user(s) after performing step (1) - use Ctrl + Shift + Del to invoke IE clear cache dialogue. Clear cache and restart browser.

Hope this helps.

Regard,

Sello

js2
Novice

Jump to solution

Thank you, Sello1. You saved us a great deal of time!

The steps listed above resolved the issue for us. The one additional step I would add to the directions above is to make sure you run IE/Chrome as the Service Account for K2. The PDF Converter value did not appear for us until we performed that action.

Justin

0 Kudos
ChrisW2
Apprentice

Jump to solution
Hi Justin,

Instead of running your browser as the K2 Service account, you can change the Authentication Mode of the PDF Converter Service Instance from "ServiceAccount" to "Impersonate". Then it will impersonate the user who is executing the Create PDF method.

Kind regards,
ChrisW
0 Kudos