Multi Select Control - Display selected items in another list view

• 3 February 2020
  • 2 replies

Hello All,

I have been searching for days to no avail; any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am working on a form that uses the multi select control. I am using a smart object to populate the multi select list with values (Let us just say the values are text options for example: Mon, Tues, Wed, Thur, Fri, Sat, Sun). If the user selects Mon, Tues and Wed from the Multi Select list, I want to be able to display in another list view (as separate rows) the user selected options of Mon, Tues and Wed. How can I achieve this? How do I access the Multi select value to display to the user? From the documentation, I understand the multi select value is stored in the database with a default semicolon delimiter, but how do I retrieve the value from the database and display it?  

2 replies

Hi there,

I found the following article that had a similiar issue to yours here.

As per their solution. you can create a rule that will filter your list view when the Multi-Picker control is changed like this for example:

When a control on a view raises an event

1. Execute a view method

Naturally the "control" in this case would be your multi-picker, the event would be "changed" and generally your method to run would be a "List" method of some sort.

When you configure the view method to be executed, you will go through three screens:

• Input Mappings
  • Filter
  • Output Mappings

Depending on what you need, you can leave the Input Mappings screen as is but on the Filter screen; add a filter that the field in your list view = the multi-picker control value.

Now everytime you change the multi-picker control it will change the list of items in the view to match what is selected in the multi-picker control.

Hope this helps!

@EsmariI appreciate your responding! While this is a great solution, it does not work for my case because I am not using a dropdown for a user to select from; I am using a smart object list view for users to select their option. So when I try to implement your suggested soulution, it does work if the user is only picks one option. However in my case, the user would always be selecting atleast 10 different options from the list. If users pick more than one option, this solution does not work because it still returns everything from the database (even filtering by the selected multipicker).