Solved

Migration to K2 5.1

Hi All 

I am working on an application which is in K2 4.7 . Our organization needs to Migrate to K25.1 . However before migrating I wanted to access what are the impact of it and what would be work required. Please let me know the steps to follow: 

1) Migrate all the servers to K2 5.1 

2) Fix the broken component in the dev server . The workflow are expected to break but can you please specify the exact components that are expected to break. Also what tool do we use to fix the broken component. 

3) Once the component are fixed, we need to package using K2 5.1 P&D tool. Deploy it to the Production server. 

Is this all we have to do ? Also I wanted to know what would happen to the In-flight workflows in the Production server.  I have workflows that are using SmartObjects , will that break if the SmartObjects are migrated. 

o be followed. Are the below steps sufficent. 

icon

Best answer by EvanM 27 June 2018, 16:39

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hello,

Whenever upgrading I recommend reading through the release notes if you have not already done so:

http://help.k2.com/kb002301

Also here are some guidelines on upgrdaing to K2 Five:

http://help.k2.com/kb002045

I would recommend reading through these two KBs to familiarize yourself with any known issues or changes to the product that could affect your current processes after the upgrade. If you currently use legacy designer tools such as K2 Studio, K2 for Visual Studio, or the SilverLight Web Designer please be aware that you will need to upgrade your servers from 4.7 -> K2 5.1 to still have access to these components. They are not installed on a fresh install of K2 5.1. 

All current running workflows on your production server will still continue to work unless they were built on K2 .NET 2003. Per the above KB:

Q: If I upgrade to K2 Five, will my 4.7 based workflows continue to work?
A: Yes, except for K2.net 2003 workflows.  All workflows continue to run and new instances can be started. You can maintain those 4.7 based workflows using the 4.7 designers and the workflows are supported.

The only question I would like some more specifics on would be that in step 2 you mention that you need to fix a broken component and your workflows are then expected to break. What exact component are you talking about? 

Thanks,
Evan

Hi Evan

Thanks for responding to my post on Migration to K2 5.1. I  just wanted to know some more details. If I upgrade my dev server to K2 5.1 then would my workflows automatically be updaded to K2 5.1 and I can then use the new K2 Five workflow Designer to edit my workflows. Is my understanding correct ?

Secondly  I came across jeylabs advert on 'Powertoolz Express for K2 Five', do we need to product and if yes then what is the advantage of using it ?  

Badge +5

HI

From what I understand from this question. Yes these workflow will still be available but not upgraded

You will not be able to edit the workflow in the HTML 5 (new workflow editor). The old workflows that was on the environment before upgrade will be editable but this will be in the Legacy Workflow editor.

Regrards,

Badge +7

Hi

We migrated our 4.7 environment to a new 5.1 environment but ended up completely reworking the workflows, because there were so many problems with the existing workflows which in part came from P&D and the other were the differences in the new WF 5.1 functionality. for your migration, I would plan to rebuild the WF's