Solved

Migrating solutions from 4.6.11 to Five on different farms

• 25 September 2017
  • 8 replies

Badge +4

I am considering setting up a new instance of K2 Five separate to my 4.6.11 instance with a view to migrating over time one process/solution at a time.

I realise I will lose the process history. So my question is, will I be able to use Package and Deploy to migrate 4.6.11 solutions to Five?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by BarryHoffmann 26 September 2017, 17:00

View original

8 replies

Badge +1

Hi Jem, good question. This is not something i have personally tried yet, but i do think what you are trying to achieve is possible. You will however require a specific approach as it is not a one click process.

Firstly see this article about P&D: https://help.k2.com/kb001782

From what i can read here you will have to upgrade to 4.7 as that will be the only release you can P&D from to K2 Five.

Secondly: K2 Five do not install the older development tools on a fresh install. The only way to keep the older designer tools are to upgrade from 4.7

So in light of this the best approach is to install 4.7 on your test server.

then P&D your current 4.6.11 application and deploy it to your 4.7 test server

Then upgrade that 4.7 test server to K2 Five.

Please remember you will not be able to open the older applications in the new workflow designer, only in the older workflow designers.

In order to work with the new designer, you will have to start new.

Looking into the future.

The new workflow designer is completely different from the older designers and also cannot currently consume the artifact or design files of those older designers.

I would recommend that you consider using the new workflow designer on any workflows redesigns or new workflows you plan to build out and use the older designer to tweak or fix bugs in your existing applications.This will help you minimize the number of workflows running on the older technology.

Badge +2

My question revolves around the fact of wheather a person that has builti workflows in K2 for Visual Stuido still be able to access and work with those workflows should there be a need to enahnce something once they are deployed on K2 Five.

Badge +1

in regards to the question:

My question revolves around the fact of wheather a person that has builti workflows in K2 for Visual Stuido still be able to access and work with those workflows should there be a need to enahnce something once they are deployed on K2 Five.

"

Yes you will still be able to edit that workflow in K2 for VS, given that you have upgraded your 4.7 instance to K2 Five rather than a new "fresh" K2 Five install.

The K2 for VS development tool will only be available on an upgrade.

Hi there

When K2Five is available, ONLY packages built in K2Five can depoy to K2Five.

4.7 packages cannot deploy to K2Five

4.6.11 packages cannot deploy to K2Five

You will have to upgrade your source environments to K2Five if you wish to deploy your packages to other K2Five environments.

Badge +13

Can you confirm this works?

4.6.11 upgraded to 4.7.

4.7 upgraded to K2Five.

Run K2Five P&D Tool on the process created in K2 Visual Studio Designer to build a new K2Five package.

Deploy that new package to K2Five.

Basically we just need to re-create the install package from K2Five P&D Tool?

Badge +10

I have to said, that I'm surprised about the backwards compatibility and the procedure to upgrade....

What about in the case you have 3 Servers 4.6.11 [ DEV - TEST - PROD ] and need to upgrade 4.7. but while we are here why not all the way to K2 Five.

So basically have to package & Deploy every single app and deploy in the 4.7. TEMP Transition server...

Then run the Upgrade to K2 Five, expecting that all the applicaitons will migrate correctly. later have it ready in K2 Five ready to pacakge & Deploy in new servers 

[ DEV - TEST - PROD ] K2 Five... but since the upgrade took place we can't  go back easily if we missed something during the migration.

I really wish a way to upgrade and let K2 Five and have the ability in a transition server to pacakge & deploy for the migraiton with the understanding a migration to K2 Five will package only certain data. 

Or even better to have a way to package & deploy the XML of our Forms to be mapped to the SMO's in K2 Five and yes do some rework on the WF. but seems like leave us without a choice but upgrade everything with the expectation of everything magically just works and we all knwow that will not be the case =(

Hi All 

In continous of the above thread, I would like to start the dicussion again. I have a dev,pre-prod and production server in K2 4.7 . If I upgrade these servers to K2 5.1 version, what are the components which are expected to break and what are the fix that we need to do after the migration. Are the steps going to be as follows: 

1) Migrate all the servers to K2 5.1 

2) Fix the broken component in the dev server . The workflow are expected to break but can you please specify the exact components that are expected to break. Also what tool do we use to fix the broken component. 

3) Once the component are fixed, we need to package using K2 5.1 P&D tool. Deploy it to the Production server. 

Is this all we have to do ? Also I wanted to know what would happen to the In-flight workflows in the Production server.  I have workflows that are using SmartObjects , will that break if the SmartObjects are migrated. 

Badge +13

We are still on 4.7 and my understanding is that once upgraded to 5.1, all existing processes will continue to run.

You can continue to use VS2015 to modify the legacy process and delploy to 5.1 vis 5.1's Package Deployment Tool.

Take a snapshot of the Dev and upgrade to 5.1 and play with it... when you are comfortable upgrade the rest.