Solved

Make Control on Editable List View Show for All Rows or How to do comparable on Item View

• 4 December 2019
  • 3 replies

I am trying to find out how to make an edit control on a list view for one column be persitant for all rows. 

For example I have some SmartBox SmartObjects that store a list of the required and not required systems for a certain Employee (for example database structure see attachments). Each of the systems need to be setup by different people so they are grouped into different tasks. I have a list view that gets a list of the systems based on what task a user comes in from. In the editable list view is a field "Is this completed?" and when you click edit for a row a dropdown is displayed for the user to select if the system was setup or not. (see attachments for example Views)15413i48B6BF0D386723A0.png

It seems very clunky to have to click edit for each of the rows then click the drop down. So it would be easier to just display the drop-down automatically for all rows shown and not just a single item. How would I go about getting the Drop-Down to display for all rows in the list view? Or would it be easier to recreate this functionality as an item view? If using an item view would be easier, how would I approach that?

12751iCE59F4047D368E22.png
12607iE5875D77308F1C07.png

icon

Best answer by SamuelT1 9 December 2019, 22:53

View original

3 replies

Hello  @McDude5, 

There are a few controls that do not appear in list views unless the row is in the edit mode/state. This is true for the drop-down list control as well some others such as the button control. I would suggest changing that column to utilize another control type. Since it seems to be a true/false field, you could potentially use a checkbox control which will display for all of the rows instead of showing as blank until you click on it. To further remove some of the "clunky-ness" you could set up a rule for a single button click that would edit the selected row so that there is not any wierd double-clicking happening just to adjust a value in the list. Hopefully this helps or at least gives you some other ideas! 

Thanks, 

Samuel

The "Is This Completed?" field has up to 4 options that a user can select thats why its a drop down. The goal of this question was to reduce the number of clicks a user has to make. Also to make it clear, without instruction, what a user has to do to pick the action taken for a particular system. Even a button to click that would allow you to edit all the rows at once would also be acceptable but I am unsure how to do this. 

If there is no way to make a drop down control persist for every row in the "Is This Completed?" column then I have to look for other options.

Now my question at this point is: How can I replicate a List View like this as an Item View?

Hello @McDude5, 

The way a list view works is that all of the rows in the list view start in a 'Display' mode. It is not until you click or double-click on a row(depending on how your form is configured) that the row will enter the 'Edit' mode thus allowing you to make changes. Looking though our Ideas site, I was able to find a few different ideas that are essentially the same and that would help here. I will include the links for those below but looks like they are already being considered for a future release of the product. Feel free to give them an upvote to get some additional recognition from the developers. 

https://ideas.k2.com/ideas/APIT-I-407

https://ideas.k2.com/ideas/APIT-I-908

https://ideas.k2.com/ideas/APIT-I-197

Additionally, I do not believe that it is going to be easy to replicate a list view from a item view. You would be able to load all of the data into the view but getting it to display and edit nicely will be very difficult. I would recommend that you use a combination of a list and item view. The thought here is that you would hide the item view until a row is clicked on by the user. Once the row is clicked, you could show the item view and populate the data from that row into the item view. This would hopefully reduce the number of clicks the user would need while keeping it looking nice. With this suggestion, I would also recommend changing your list view to use a data label for the Completed column instead of a drop-down list so that the values appear in the list view. Then you could use a drop-down list on the item view to give the user the four options that are available.

Thanks,

Samuel