K2 email after sharepoint list is updated

• 16 September 2020
  • 6 replies

Hi,

I have a sharepoint list and created a K2 smartobject for it. User can create and save new rows of data into that list using K2 form. On submit of the form, I am triggering a K2 workflow which will send email with sharepoint list item link to the approver. 
Approver can open the link(sharepoint link) and add their approve/reject comments. (Approver can access the sharepoint link and hence will update there.)
Once approver updated the list item, how can I send the K2 user the notification/email so that user can open the same K2 form again and look at the approver comments.

Is there a way to notify user after sharepoint list item is updated?

Thanks

6 replies

Hi  @chaa ,

Have you tried using the Action Result property to update a list item in a SharePoint List after the Approver has added their comments in the SharePoint List and then Action the Task?

This would then be possible to add a step after the Approver has actioned the task, and send an Email notification to the user that contains the link to the SharePoint List.

I've done some research and found this article helpful.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask any more questions.

Kind regards,

Dian

Hi  @Dian ,

Thanks for the reply.

Your suggested solution would be helpful if the approver has got K2 license and I could have added the "Action Task" step in my workflow. 

But in my case, the approver(my manager here for example) might not have that license to open and action K2 task, so I believe I can't have "Action Task" step in my workflow. Currently I am sending a sharepoint item link to approver over email.

The approver opens the link which is a sharepoint link - like - (

https://<sharepoint doamin url>/sites/k2_dev/Lists/ST_Test/DispForm.aspx?ID=2 )

and then manually puts the comments and save it in sharepoint.

Post this, how will the originator get the notification email that approver has done the update and now originator can open the K2 form and do his next steps accordingly.

Thanks

Hi  @Dian ,

Thanks for the reply.

Your suggested solution would be helpful if the approver has got K2 license and I could have added the "Action Task" step in my workflow. 

But in my case, the approver(my manager here for example) might not have that license to open and action K2 task, so I believe I can't have "Action Task" step in my workflow. Currently I am sending a sharepoint item link to approver over email. Please check myworkflow.png .

The approver opens the link which is a sharepoint link - like - (

https://<sharepoint doamin url>/sites/k2_dev/Lists/ST_Test/DispForm.aspx?ID=2 )

and then manually puts the comments and save it in sharepoint.

Post this, how will the originator get the notification email that approver has done the update and now originator can open the K2 form and do his next steps accordingly.

Thanks

At the top of my head, a workaround that I can think of is for the approver to use SmartActions to action the task. This would be using a basic Task Step where the step sends an email to the Approver and they have to reply to the email with the Action they choose after updating the SharePoint List. 

Here is the basics on using K2 SmartActions.

I know that this is somewhat tedious and not the optimal solution you are looking for.

I will keep doing some research and get back to you if I find a better solution.

Kind regards,

Dian

Hi  @chaa ,

I've done some more Googling and found documentation on configuring a Workflow's start rule to start with a SharePoint List event such as when a SharePoint List is updated.

So I thought you could create a Sub-Workflow that gets called by the Primary Workflow, after you sent the Email to the Approver with the SharePoint List link. 

It would then be possible to configure this Sub-Workflow to start with a SharePoint event (when the approver updates the List)

Here is the article on How to Start a Workflow with a SharePoint event.

Edit: Another resource on Creating a Workflow from a SharePoint List or Library.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Dian

Hi  @Dian ,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Actually I had also found the same link as you suggested , tried starting WF from sharepoint list event(when list item is updated)  but the WF does not start even when I update the list item in the sharepoint list manually. Not sure about any configurations missing or some access related issue.

Thanks

Shikha