Solved

K2 designer using web server service account for DB connection after Five upgrade

• 6 March 2019
  • 4 replies

We have our K2 Five installation separated into a web server and an app server. When we try to load saved workflows, the workflow designer halts at 80%. I can see a browser console error showing that K2 is trying to connect to the K2 database using our web server service account, not our app server service account.

Do I have to give our web server service account access to the database? I had the understanding that everything goes through the app server. Maybe that's not true for the designer? It seems to be only workflows. SmartForms seem to save and run fine.

I'm attaching a screenshot of the console error.

14742i1D798598B4B3A9FC.png

icon

Best answer by ajo 7 March 2019, 04:08

View original

4 replies

Badge +10

I've run into a similar "80%" issue before, what's helped me was clearing the browser cache, then attempting to re-open the workflow.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. I tried clearing application data, caches, cookies, etc after reading your response. No luck. I'm fairly certain from the error log that K2 is trying to connect to its database using our web server service account which doesn't have access. This is surprising to us since we understood that all communication with the database happens through the app server. It appears that the web server is either trying to connect to the database, or it's passing its authentication information via the app server.

Badge +12
Hi,

Your K2 Designer site app pool account would need to be a db_owner to the K2 database. It's listed under the following documentation on Required Permissions: http://help.k2.com/onlinehelp/k2five/icg/5.2/default.htm#plan/Required-Permissions.htm

The following KB may also be helpful for you: http://help.k2.com/support-services/kbt163166

Thank you very much for that. I was going through documentation but I clearly missed that page or didn't read it carefully enough.

A follow up question if you have time: Can I separate the designer to a different server than our web server? I looked over the installation guide for single and multiple servers and I don't see this as a possibility. I also tried running the installer but I don't see that as an option. I'm hoping I'm wrong.