K2 Workspace Offline - Cascading Drop Down Lists

• 13 February 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi,

I am testing offline functionality within the K2 Workspace app.

I have an Test Form with three drop down lists.

• Clicking the 1st drop down list populates the 2nd drop down list
  • Clicking the 2nd drop down list populates the 3rd drop down list

All three drop down lists have been set to cache data.

When viewing the Form offline, once the Form has been initialised an attempt is made to connect to the server (?)

If I remove the filtering options against the drop down lists there is no issue. However this approach is not feasible for our solution.

Has anyone come across this issue? Do cascading drop down lists actually working work offline? I cannot see any reason why it needs to connect to the server, all of the generated logic behind the scenes refer to loading cached data?

13918i5F86EC811EB1EBAC.png

4 replies

Hi  @ConradMc 

I hope you are well, I have never come across this problem before, but I did some reading on offline availability and it seem as if the drop down doesn't funtion offline since its looking up data in smartObject . Please click here  to go to the documentation I read or look at the attachment.

Let me know if this helps :-)

Badge +7

Hello  @ConradMc ,

-Offline forms support client-side validation, such as required fields or regular expression validation patterns. However, any validation that requires server calls, such as looking up data in a SmartObject, do not function offline.

-When you use the K2 Workspace (Mobile) app, the K2 API web service and SmartForms Runtime site must be accessible from the mobile device.

-If the SmartForms Runtime site requires a Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection, the device must be connected to the VPN before the form is cached offline. Once the form is cached, you can open and action the form without a VPN connection. In this scenario the form submission is directed to the Outbox and syncs when the device reconnects.When you open a subview or subform through rules it is not available offline.

-The Content control is not available offline, see Control Support for Offline Forms for more information.Paging is not available offline.

Offline forms may not be available in all versions of the K2 Mobile and K2 Workspace (Mobile) apps. Check the documentation for your version of the applicable Mobile Application to verify whether offline forms are available on your mobile operating system.If you want to use a workflow-related form offline, you must enable the Offline Availability form property.

Thanks for this info. 

Re: "-Offline forms support client-side validation, such as required fields or regular expression validation patterns. However, any validation that requires server calls, such as looking up data in a SmartObject, do not function offline."

If this is the case, what is the purpose of the cache data option? I thought this downloaded the smartobject when online, for offline use?

Badge +7

@ConradMc ,

When you create an Application Form or use a form in a workflow task, you can set the form to be available offline. This allows users to open forms and action tasks in the K2 Workspace (Mobile) apps when they are not connected to the K2 server. When the K2 Workspace (Mobile) app is connected again, the forms are actioned and submitted. In addition, you can configure certain list controls to cache the data which is downloaded when the form initializes. This is especially useful when you need data in controls (such as drop-down lists and picker controls) to be available while the device is offline.

If you do not enable the Offline Availability form property, the form is only available when the K2 Workspace (Mobile) app is online.