K2 Five 5.2 Workflow Infinite Loop: Workflow Update List Item Step with Event: An item was updated

K2 Five 5.2 Workflow Infinite Loop:  Workflow Update List Item Step with Event: An item was updated

Question: Why does the K2 Five Workflow Engine create an infinite loop with the Workflow Step of *Update List Item* with an Event of *An item was updated*?

A basic rule-of-thumb.... A workflow should not be able to trigger/envoke itself?   The Standard SharePoint (2010 / 2013) Workflows / Triggers do not cause infinite looping (that's not to say that in the wayback-machine SharePoint Workflows didn't have their own set of issues ... and even different issues today).

The workaround I have been using is to set a Start Condition of   ** if originator Display Name  <> PK2ESvc **

The workflow will trigger the first time due to the Origination being the person on the end of keyboard and any subsequent re-triggering from inside use of the *Update List Item* is NOT originated by the end user.

Is there intent to ( fix / correct ?? ) this infinte loop condition in near future releases?

Thanx!

2 replies

Badge +12

Hello!

I did a quick test on my 5.2 environment without any fix packs installed. While K2 Designer did warn me of a potential loop in my workflow, I was still able to deploy it and run an instance which completed almost immediately.

Start (when an item was updated)
|
Update List Item (Pick List Item = Reference created on the Start step)
|
End

This is just a basic flow of the problem you described. Let me know if there's anything I might have missed so I can do another run on my end based on your requirements.

Thanks!

I have observed both situations whereby some of the items in a simple list (8-10 items) will be OK and others will suddenly have 20, 50, or even 17,000 versions.  

Are you able to turn on versioning for the list?

I would be open to doing a test in a Skype / Google Hangout to show what I have observed in my environment ...