Is NLB required in a pristine installation of Windows 2019

• 1 September 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

Hi K2 Community,

I have been testing different K2 Five installations scenarios with a PROD license and in both instances a stand-alone or farm configuration, K2 Host Server process will not start --this is a new installation, not an upgrade--. HostServer*.log files always have the following exception:

"7582","20*personal details removed*:53:56","Error","General","0","ErrorMessage","SourceCode.Hosting.Server.Runtime.HostLoadBalancedServerManager.Poll","0 System.Exception: Error (500) Internal Server Error.at SourceCode.Configuration.Client.Extensions.RestSharpExtensions.EnsureSuccess(IRestResponse`1 response)at SourceCode.Configuration.Client.ConfigurationClient.GetServices()at SourceCode.Hosting.Server.Runtime.HostLoadBalancedServerManager.Poll()","system","127.0.0.1","ServerName:D:Program FilesK2Host ServerBin","7582","3e4fda2b8f1646228765d4bbf50f512d","""7688","20*personal details removed*:53:56","Error","System","2001","ServerStartError","SourceCode.Hosting.Server.Runtime.HostServerEngine.StartHostServer","2001 Error Starting Host Server: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.at SourceCode.CloudLinkService.Badger.BadgerLinkService.Initialize(IServiceMarshalling serviceMarshalling, IServerMarshaling serverMarshalling)at SourceCode.CloudLinkService.CloudLinkService.TryInitialize()at SourceCode.Hosting.Server.Runtime.HostServerEngine.EnrollHostableTypeInstance(IHostableType HostableTypeInstance)at SourceCode.Hosting.Server.Runtime.HostTypeLoader.InitAndEnrollHostableType(String HostedTypeName, String InterfaceName)at SourceCode.Hosting.Server.Runtime.HostTypeLoader.InitAndEnrollHostableTypes(String InterfaceName)at SourceCode.Hosting.Server.Runtime.HostServerEngine.StartHostServer()","system","10.10.10.10","ServerName:D:Program FilesK2Host ServerBin","7688","0c7d75e3ec50404ca4dac6d11ae5326f",""

If you notice the error is thrown by the Pull() function in class HostLoadBalancedServerManager.

I installed the Network Load Balancer feature in Windows Server 2019, without configuring it and the same message was thrown. Then on another attempt, I installed again NLB, but this time with a cluster configured; K2HostServer loaded without any issues.

Furthermore, in also I installed a brand new K2 Blackpearl (with a developer license) in Windows Server 2019, all ran correctly, then copied some of my existing artifacts with K2 Blackpearl Package and Deployment tool, and finally, I upgraded it to K2 Five. Everything ran correctly, and no errors were thrown.

So I wonder is there's some kind of bug with new K2 Five installations in Windows Server 2019 that is forcing me to install and configure NLB? or perhaps I overlooked a requirement from the Prepare your environment in K2 Five installation guide.

This was using K2 Five 5.3 since the compatibility matrix confirms Windows Server 2019 is compatible.

Thank you,

Eduardo

3 replies

Badge +15

Hi,

Is this a new K2 environment, with new K2 database, or did you restore a backup of a K2 database from elsewhere, then attempt the installation?

Badge +2

Hi  @boringNerd ,

Yes, the error is thrown on a brand new K2 Five installation. The second installation I was referring to was on a different Windows Server 2019 stand-alone server, in that one I first installed K2 Blackpearl, then I use K2 P&D to deploy Blackpearl processes and ran the K2 Five upgrade; this installation went smoothly.

I don't want to use this second installation for my K2 Five PROD, in this one I want a pristine K2 Five environment.

Thank you,

Eduardo

Badge +2

Hi,

I ended up configuring NLB with one NIC in the server so that the installation could start up K2HostServer.exe. Everything started up fine. Setting up NLB with a single network card is way too weird, but I just can assume the initial start-up routines of K2 were looking for the existence of NLB.

After making sure it was okay I went ahead and deleted the NLB cluster configuration, restarted the server and K2HostServer started without any complaints. HostServer*.log only show the missing MSMQ error log --which is annoying since K2 Five no longer uses MSMQ.

Definitely something funky about that setup. I just hope I don't run into the same issues when deployment K2 patches.

Thank you,

Eduardo