IIS Application Pool and Web Application shutdown after K2 Five inplace upgrade...

• 13 November 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge +10

After going to the K2 4.6.11 to K2 4.7 and K2 Five we noticed the IIS Application Pool shutdown every night including the web applications.

So far has been very frustrating... is K2 or is IIS ???. after troubleshooting K2 point to Microsoft IIS. To make things more complicated we are running Rapid7 agent and security scans which flood the IIS Logs with scans.

with the idea of troubleshooting we managed to enable TCP/Wrapper Security in IIS. and black list the IP's of the Rapid 7 scanners. however that did not fixed the issue. [ Web Server -> Security -> IP And Domains Restrictions ]

Today another K2  Developer point out this link:

https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/213917405-Application-pool-stops-randomly-within-in-a-specified-time-period-automatically-disabled-due-to-a-series-of-failures

Not sure if this is going to be the solution to our issues, but wondering if somebody have similar experiences and wanted to share some alternatives/workarounds.

I hope this is the solution to a stable IIS. however until tomorrow we will know more... if somebody have some ideas suggestions are surely welcome.

Dinooz

2 replies

A few easy things to check:

Server restart schedule: Is server always online.

Do apppool crash or suspend? 

If Suspend you can try change appools settings, interesting ones IIS -> Application pools -> right click -> Advanced settings "Idle Time-out (minutes)" and "Idle Time out action"

If it is a crash you should be able to get more information from the Event Viewer, post image of the crash details and you should be able to recieve more help on the forum.

Regards

/Björn 

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi,

I would recommend enabling extra logging for K2 app pool (i.e. Right click K2 app pool > Advance Settings > Rapid-Fail Protection section and Generate Recycle Event Log entry).  Could you give us some additional details in IIS log? For example, are there a lot of K2 activities around the time in IIS log? It sounds to me there are too many web calls from K2 site. Also, did K2 service utilize a lot of resources around the time? Did K2 Service fail first and follow by app pool crash?