How to force a running workflow to a newer version

• 8 March 2021
  • 3 replies

I know this question has been asked before, but all the answers I can find link to solution pages that don’t exist anymore. :(

Our K2 version is 5.4

I have several workflows which have been started in a workflow-version of the workflow that contains an error.

The error has been fixed in the newest version of the workflow. It is a minor correction, so the existing workflows should be able to run on the newer version without problem.

How do I force the running version to the newest version?

3 replies

Hi @blap,

I believe that you are looking for the Process Version Migration Utility. Im not sure how well it will work on 5.4 but it is in the 5.4 user guide:

Considerations when setting the default version of a workflow

Keep in mind the following items when setting a default version:

• Existing workflow instances are not affected when you change the default version of a workflow, only new instances of the workflow started after the applied change are affected.
  • When you deploy a new version of the workflow, the deployed version automatically becomes the default version, even if you set a different version as the default . You may need to reset the default version of the workflow after deploying a new version, depending on your intention.
  • K2 does not automatically switch active instances of the process to the latest version.APIs and community tools are available that allow you to migrate active (aka in-flight) workflows from one version to another. See the Live Instance Management API in the K2 developer reference for more information.)
  • Since SmartObjects and SmartForms always use the latest deployed version, modifying the default version of a workflow could cause errors and unexpected behavior if there are newer versions of SmartObjects, views, and forms referenced by the workflow. Since it is unpredictable how you are using SmartObjects, views, and forms in your workflows, it is impossible to provide specific guidance other than to be aware of this potential impact when setting a default version. Where possible, K2 recommends you allow existing instances of the workflow to complete before making changes to the default version of a workflow, especially when they also require updates to the SmartObjects, views, or forms used in the workflow.

If you cannot reach the Live Instance Management API link, please find the attached PDF docuement as well as the post which contains the contents from the link in the PDF document/Live Instance Management API:

Hope this helps :)

Kind Regards

Prineel

The links don’t work, but thanks.

We ended up solving the problem the crude way - we started new flows in the new workflow-version.

Badge +13

https://community.nintex.com/t5/K2-Five-blackpearl/Process-Version-Migration-Utility-v3-0-6/ta-p/176994