How to Create Workflow Process using C# code in K2 Designer, K2 5.x

• 25 May 2022
  • 1 reply

Hi, I have requirements to create a workflow from scratch including all details inside it using C# code in K2 5.x without using the web designer abilities and after that, the workflow must exist in the designer as usual but I did not find resources about how to use DLLs to create it.

Note: There are resources for only K2 4.7 using other assemblies.

I started looking in these assemblies:

SourceCode.WebDesigner.Framework.ObjectModel.Core

SourceCode.WebDesigner.Framework.ObjectModel.Workflow

SourceCode.WebDesigner.Management

SourceCode.WebDesigner.Process

Please help me to solve this and I am sure that any help provided about creating a workflow process and connecting to the web designer using code in K2 five will be very helpful and useful.

Regards.

1 reply

This is a large, complex topic.  In the 4.x versions workflow designs were built with client side designers, so the API was accessible in client DLLs.  In 5.x the designers are all web based, so there are no client side DLLs.  The web designers build object models in the browser and exchange them as JSON object graphs with web APIs.  It theory it would be possible to construct your own object model and call these APIs, but it wasn't really intended to build workflows this way.

Another approach you might consider is to divide your use cases into several general workflow patterns you could implement with the designer and use conditional logic to execute steps only when needed.