InfoPath 'Connect to Data Sources' error on form submit

• 7 April 2011
  • 7 replies

Badge +3

I have a number of K2 process (all integrated with InfoPath forms).  Most of them submit just fine for the end user, but at least one of them throws an error when the end user submits it:

"InfoPath Editor Security Notice"
"Security Warning:   This form may use your identity to connect to data sources"
"You should click Yes only if you trust the location where this form resides.  This form contains content which could connect to unknown locations"
"Do you want to connect to data sources"

I've compared data sources between this form and another form that doesn't throw the error and it appears on the surface anyway, to be the exact same.  I do have a non-K2 data connection to AD (GetUserProfile) to pre-populate form fields, but again - it works on one form, but not on this form.  I've added all the sites to trusted sites and set the level to 'Low'.  I've checked permissions to the form libraries.

These is nothing in the Event logs.

Any advise on where to look next?  Has anyone else had this issue and found a solution?  I've attached a screen shot of the security error.

16821i100DCA82C80BEDD7.png

7 replies

Badge +2

Does your form and data source located in same server? i guess that's the problem.

Or check this blog post about data connections in browser forms

Badge +3

I have to do some more testing, but it looks like the problem is [once again] security setting in IE.  After adding the various sites to Trusted Sites and then 'Enabling' data sources across domains, I still got the alert.  However, when I went checked the settings for the 'Intranet' zone - it had the data sources across domains set by default to 'Prompt'.  I change that zone's setting to 'Enabled' and so far the alert hasn't shown up again.  Will continue to test a bit more and see what happens.

Badge

Hi!

We have the same problem, but in our Intranet zone the 'data sources across domains' was already set to 'Allow' and still we have the problem. Any other ideas?

btw - I saw a hint that it might be connected to a LoadBalancer - is this the case in your case, too. We are using one... (http://www.eggheadcafe.com/microsoft/InfoPath/30279472/remove-warning-this-form-is-using-your-identity-to-connect-to-dat.aspx)

Michael

Badge +3

Although this isn't a 'fix' - it did resolve my issue.  I changed all of my InfoPath forms to browser-based only and no more errors.  I was not able to do with prior to the Pass-Through-Authentication upgrade that eliminated the need for pure Kerberos.  From what tech support is telling me, Forms Server with Kerberos with SharePoint 2007 didn't always play well.

On a side note - the end user experience with browser-based forms has improved as well.  I'm hearing the forms are faster and can be opened whether or not the InfoPath client is installed locally.

Badge

I'm going to take a look into the Pass-Through topic, nevertheless browser-based forms don't support filters and we are using those, so this will not be a soution for us. Furthermore we have some 10k existing forms which somehow magically (or at least automated :)) would have to be changed to form-based...

Badge +3

10k forms is a MUCH larger organization than we are!  But I do have a question on the filtering.  I've not had any issues with the filtering I have done so far (showing up in a browser-based form), so can I ask what kind of filtering are you talking about?  For us anyway, we have filters on data connections (retrieving the employee's manager's manager's email for instance).  My cascading drop-down lists are working.   I have not worked with list filtering yet, but I suspect SmartObjects would solve any issues there.  The advice I got from tech support was to design the InfoPath form as you normally would.  Then change K2 BlackPoint to deploy the solution as web browser only.  Last, append ?DefaultItemOpen=1 to the end of the form URL and it will open in a browser.  For us anyway, all the security, redirect and data connection errors have been eliminated. 

All that being said, I'm very new at this, so there could very well be something I've missed.

Badge

The filtering I mean is e.g.: I have a SharePoint list with persons and a column indicating if the person is a manager or not. Now in the form I would fill a dropdown with the persons of this list using a dataconnection and on the properties for the data I'm using the 'Filter Data' to only get the managers (see below). And if this filter is not static but dependend on another field on the form I even cannot split this list in two (for managers and non-managers).

Next issue there is that not all of the forms are K2 based, so those are not able to use SmartObjects anyway - but this is another topic for another forum :)