Different System Email From address for K2 Five SharePoint Workflow Task vs. Send Email ?

• 27 February 2020
  • 2 replies

Is it possible to set the K2 Five SharePoint Workflow System Email "FROM" address different for the Task step vs. Send Email step? 

The challenge I'm running into... Many of the workflows use the Send Email task.  Users are familiar with the older SharePoint Designer workflow emails whereby they could easily click on "Reply All" and the SharePoint Server would ignore the noreply address and not send back a email error of not being able to process the email (sent to the server).

Within K2 Five SharePoint Workflow Send Email,  a user that "Reply All" receives a error email back from K2 saying it could not process the response causing a bunch of questions from the user as to why they received the error email.

I'm assuming the "FROM" address for the Task step and Send Email step are the same.   If there were two seperate from addresses (one for processing of K2 Task Responses and another for ignoring Send Email "Reply All") it would greatly help! 

Thanx

Jeff

2 replies

Badge +15

Hi,

You should be able to specify a separate From address in the Send Email step. You cannot do it in the Task step. Task step will always use the From address.

This From address comes from an environment variable with the same name found in your Environment Library. You can create another environment variable in your environment library to store the no reply email address, which you can use in the Send Email step in your workflow.

Here are the high level steps:

1. Add a new environment variable in your Environment Library. You can call it "No Reply From address".

2. Set the email address you want to that new variable.

3. On your K2 server, go to [Program Files]K2Host ServerBin, open ConnectionStringEditor.exe.Add a new EWS or SMTP connection string for the no reply email address. If you are using Exchange, just add a Exchange Web Services Destination connection string. The Exchange Web Services connnection string is for SmartActions, so you can skip adding that for the no reply email address.

4. You need to add a new connection string for the no reply email address so that K2 knows which connection string to use for the email address.

5. Restart your K2 service for the changes to take effect.

6. Edit your workflow.

7. In the Send Email step, if you do not see the From field, just click on the down error next to the To field.

8. Select From, then click on the From Address drop down, and select Type/Construct my own

9. Delete the default From address environment variable

10. Now open the Context Browser, under Environment Fields, look for the no reply from address environment varialble that you have just added, and drag it over to the From field.

11. Save and deploy your workflow

Thank you for the response... As I am "Citizen Developer" I will pass along the information to our Operations group to see if they will consider making the update.

I will revist this post at a later date and provide feedback / progress.