Solved

Developer and Production environments on a single server - how to setup?

• 29 August 2019
  • 2 replies

Hi,

I am working on K2 Five installed on a single server and I want to split it to two environments. Unfortunately, K2 Environment Library manual is insufficient for me to be able setup both environments and I need your help. 

In my K2 both Developer and Production environments exist in the Environment Library settings in Management, but I have no idea how to switch between them. Right now, all value fields in both environments are identical.

Do I need to create different second domain with different webpages and insert them in value fields (K2-Dev.com/Designer and K2-Prod.com/Designer)? Or can I setup both environments under one domain (K2.com/Dev/Designer and K2.com/Prod/Designer)?

Do I have to create new sites in IIS Manager on my server?

I will be glad for any help on how to make both environments work separately on a single server only.

Thank you,

Przemek

icon

Best answer by Widson 30 August 2019, 10:55

View original

2 replies

Badge +10

Hi PrzemekGGS

The Multiple Environment Libraries are actually carried over from the days before Package and Deployment. It gave you the ability to develop a Workflow in K2 Studio against values stores in the Development library and then once you’re ready, deploy against the Production library.

With K2 Five though, it is much more convenient to have a separate Development environment and then, using Package and Deployment, move the solution to a Production environment. With K2 Five, the default environment library is always used when deploying, so you will constantly need to switch the default in K2 Management. This adds an additional step to keep in mind when deploying Workflows and can lead to issues if the wrong Environment is set to default.

Using a single server with multiple domains and IIS sites for Development and Production purposes can be done, but the amount of additional setup and steps to remember when using it does not make it worth it.

It’s much easier to just use a separate Development environment.

Cheers,
Thinus

Hi  @PrzemekGGS;

Additionally:-

- With the Single approach, a single K2 environment stores the Environment Libraries for all the other environments. This approach is the simplest to use and is used most often.

Consider the diagram below, where we have three separate K2 environments: Dev, QA and Production. In the Single model, the Development K2 environment stores the Environment Library for Development, QA and Production. When a developer wishes to deploy a solution (or create a deployment package), they will always connect to the Development K2 server and then select the target environment that they want to deploy to(http://help.k2.com/onlinehelp/k2forsharepoint/UserGuide/4.7/default.htm#K2_Management_Site/Environment_Library/Understanding-Environment-Libraries.htm).

As for your phrase "I have no idea how to switch between them", please see the attached K2 Five Environmental Library screenshot by default is development but there's option to switch to development as default.

Although this Single approach is the simplest to use and maintain, there is a risk because a developer may inadvertently select the wrong environment to deploy to. You can mitigate this risk by setting up Server Rights for the Workflow Server in the Production environment, and only allowing Administrators to deploy to the Production environment. This way, even if a developer mistakenly selects Production, they won't be able to deploy the solution.

See attached pdf, not k2 Five but it does provide Best Practice.

Thanks & Regards;

Widson.