Cloning K2 server

• 6 March 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi everyone,

Please I want to know how possible this is to clone K2 server with all pre-existing processes (forms, Views, Workflows) to another server to act as a mirror of server 1. Like Clone the Hard disk or something? Please I need advises Here

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi Gonzi,

I'm not sure if this is a fully supported scenario. There are things such as DNS setup and K2 server license that will come into play. It will get more complicated if the current K2 environment has the K2 for SharePoint integration. I would highly recommend logging a service request ticket or K2 support ticket to get the official answer. For starter, you might need to purchase an additional K2 license as the installer has a check in place to detect this kind of change. There is a procedure out there to restore an existing K2 database to a low-end environment for upgrade testing, but I don't think this is feasible for your scenario.

Badge +4
Not sure what are you trying to achieve here. Are you planning to do upgrade on environment or are you planning to move the server or create standby server.

If your environment is in VM ask your IT department to do VM snapshot so you will always have backup environment. Another way to leverage Active Passive environment for your application.

Most of the data you referring to is stored in SQL DB. So when you move/restore the DB it will also move the Forms views and WF.

The way K2 has been architect you if you have DB backup you can quickly spun up the K2 environment.

Second option is to talk to your Account Manager from K2 and ask if you can create standby environment where your K2 points to the same DB but it will be off line mode. If your first environment is down you can always bring your second App environment within very short time.