How do i filter on a 34 multi choice fields using Nintex site workflow ?

• 21 November 2016
  • 9 replies

Badge +5

Hello All,

I have a SharePoint list, which list contains 34 choice field columns, i need to send a email's to users based on condition, and that condition is 34 choice field's satisfy the either "No Imapact" or "Not submitted". i need to check these values in 34 choice field's,then if it's satisfy the values i need to send an email to user. 

I have tried query list filter but  in query list maximum filter's are 10 . if exceed to 10 ,query list is not working.

Could you give me the suggestions how to do valid filter on 34 column's.

Thanks in advance,

Santhosh.

9 replies

Badge +11

Hi santhosh raj sangani

You cannot compare each field with the value as you have already tested it. You can create a calculated column and concatenate the values of 34 columns (hope that's possible) into a string. Then compare the value of this field with a string variable which has your expected result. I hope you expected result is not the permutation or combination of "No Impact" and "Not Submitted" words.

Badge +5

Hi Kapil ,

Thank you show much for reply,

Actually i'm not getting your point correctly, Could you explain me as once ...

Thanks ,

Santhosh.

Badge +11

E.g. create a calculated column in your list called "Outcome"

Set it as =[choice1]&"-"&[choice2]&"-"&[choice3]&"-"&[choice4]&"-"&[choice5]...and so on.

the result might look like this:

Not Submitted-Not Submitted-Not Submitted-Not Submitted-Not Submitted-...so on.

{assuming this is how it should look like)

Then compare this to a variable that is already set in this format in your workflow.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

what env are you on?

what's the error you receive?

are you sure it's caused by number filtered fields and not by some other reason (have eg. set 'encode XML tokens')?

I've tried to setup query with 35 conditions and it ran without any problems on SP 2013 on-prem.

Badge +5

Hi Marian, 

I'm using on-prem.

i didn't get any any error, but it's not working .

i need to setup query with 64 conditions, because 

Ex:  choice column name is "Project status", choice values are "open" and "close" and "not submitted" .

Then i need to check on project status ="open" or project status="not submitted" so like that ..

total i have 34 columns, then i need to filter 2 times for each column.

in between two column's i'm putting "and" operator.

Here is query list filter screen shot:

Thanks,

Santhosh.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

hm, I would say it's a problem how single conditions are logically evaluated (matter of precedence).

have you checked in doc how evaluation of such a set of conditions is treated by nintex?

from my point of view it's nightmare!

to be honest I personally wouldn't be able to build and especially maintain 64 conditions the way nintex wants me to do.

eg. your condition is being evaluated like

(
  (
    (
      (ProjectStatus == 'Open')
      OR
      (ProjectStatus == 'Not Submitted')
    )
    AND
    (CapacityPlanning == 'No Impact')
  )
  OR
  (CapacityPlanning == 'LOEs Provided')
)

I would say you wanted it project to be in one of the two statuses AND ALONG WITH capacity in one of the two status, wouldn't you?

I would suggest to give up on clickable Query Builder and define your query manually within CAML editor.

that way you will get full control over what evaluation precedence, you will set it up faster, and it will be much easier to maintain.

Badge +5

Hi Marian,

Thank you for your  great suggestion, i will develop in CAML Editor.

Before that i did not use caml query Editor, can you please provide me the sample CAML Query tutorial.

It would be great help to me !!!.

Kindregards,

Santhosh.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I'm sorry I do not have any link at hand for beginner's tutorial.

what I usually use is following reference Query Schema 

but you can start with query builder to define first few set of conditions and fields to query for and then switch to CAML editor. it will copy over configuration and build starter CAML for you.

then, by your description, you will just need to set up correctly precedence of single expressions and copy&paste block of expressions for all your choice fields.

you can play play/tune whole query with 'run now' functionality, or you may look for some CAML tools on net.

Badge +5

Hi Marian,

Thank you for great suggestions, i will do as you mentioned.

Regards,

Santhosh.