Delegate if delegate doesn't respond

• 14 January 2016
  • 3 replies

Badge +3

I have a requirement where I have a primary a delegate1 and a delegate2. If the primary doesn't respond in X amount of time then I delegate to delegate1. If delegate1 doesn't respond in X amount of time I delegate to delegate2. I figured that I could just run a flexi task with escalation setup in parallel with a delegate task but I cant get the action ID of the flexi task. I also thought maybe I could just get away with escalating to both delegates on a first response applies basis but that doesn't work either (it only sends to the first delegate in the escalation setup). Has anyone ever ran into this or have any ideas?

3 replies

Badge +11

Hi Richard,

how about this: You create the first task for your "primary" and set the escalation time to "X" as required. You configure your escalation to complete the task and as an outcome you choose some special outcome like "completed by escalation".

In the "completed by escalation" path after your first task, you can create a task for your delegate 1 and configure the escalation just like on your first task to be able to have a "completed by escalation" path on your second task as well.

In the end it would look like this:

completedByEscalation.JPG

Maybe that's applicable for you.

Best Regards

Philipp

Badge +3

Phillip, thanks for the solution, it does what I need. A couple things to note are that the escalate outcome needs removed from the approval forms. Also, I kept getting errors inconsistently between the flexi tasks so I added pauses between them and it seems to be working ok. It doesn't look so pretty since I have to copy the approve/reject branches to each flexi task but it gets the job done. I thought about adding branches to the state machine so it wasn't so redundant but it doesn't really clean it up much... Thanks again!

Badge +11

You are very welcome! If you want to avoid redundancy, also think about using User defined Actions or Sub-Workflows. Using these can help cleaning up your workflow as well.

Cheers

Philipp