Resetting Repeating Sections

• 18 March 2016
  • 4 replies

Have you ever found yourself in a situation where you needed to reset a Nintex Forms Repeating Section? I'm sure you've tried to reset different columns from within your Nintex Workflows and It's actually easy to reset any type of fields like Yes/No, Single Line of Text, etc.. But what about the Repeating Sections?

First of all, why would you need to do so?

In my case, I had two lists; one for the orders and the other is for the order details. I've created a 1:Many relationship between both lists.

179111_pastedImage_2.png

179112_pastedImage_3.png

In my case, I wanted to use a Repeating Section only as a way for inputting data into another list (a Nintex Workflow on the parent list is being used here to parse the repeating section and create the child items in the second list.). I wanted this Repeating Section to always be empty and ready for data input. Unfortunately, this was not straightforward due to the fact that the Repeating Section data is always stored as XML either in a list column if the repeating section is connected or in a hidden field called "Form Data" if the repeating section is not connected.

What if you want to remove the data altogether from the repeating section after the form is submitted? Theoretically speaking, here is what you need to do:

180253_pastedImage_4.png

As the figure suggests, you need to strip out all the node values and keep only one row in the repeating section. You will end up with something like the below:

180389_pastedImage_5.png

You can definitely use the "Update XML" action to do the trick ... Or you can use the custom action I developed and attached to this post. happy.png

Here is how you can configure the custom action:

180390_pastedImage_9.png

The good news is that the action is smart enough to detect whether the selected repeating section is connected to a column or not .. and it works in both cases.

Give it a try and let me know your feedback!

Note: The action has been tested only on SharePoint 2013.

4 replies

Badge +3

Hi there

We have deployed the WSP but it will not activate. The ULS logs state this error:

Exception in file C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedWeb Server Extensions15TemplateLayoutsEditingMenuSiteAction.xml: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Badge +3

Are there any prereq's we need to install beforehand? Or anything that needs to be done prior to installation?

Badge +4

How do i reset a signature field with a button? Signature field is a multiple line plain text box.

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Hi all,

Does someone have the PowerPoint file or the image with the Update XML to reset a Repeating Section in a Nintex Responsive Form using Nintex Workflow??? The repeating section is not (yet) linked to a column, as I try to avoid this (I know how to reset it using a linked column → just replace the XML with the XML of the empty repeating section).

Thanks in advance. Kind regards,

Jean-Pierre