Nintex Connector for DocuSign

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

This week (6th October 2014), Nintex released the Nintex Connector for DocuSign.  What does this mean for the Nintex Workflow user?

Put quite simply, you can now build workflows where you can request signatures in documents from users, via DocuSign.

In this post, I'll be highlighting some of the actions that are available and how to use them within a workflow.  The scenario that first comes to mind, when requiring a signature, is a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA).

Firstly, from the DocuSign end.  Although you could just have a simple document you want people to sign, one of the cool features of DocuSign, is that you can have a Document Template that has fields in it.

DocuSignTemplate.png

So now that we have the document template, how do we send that to a user to sign, so that it contains the fields?

Workflow

We need to populate a template with the fields and values you want to add to that document. To do this, we use the DocuSign Populate template action.

PopulateTemplate.png

There are a few important fields that are needed for this action:

PopulateTemplateSettings.png

The Authorizing User is the account that can request this from DocuSign.  What would usually happen when you do this, is that that authorizing user will get an email, requesting whether they allow Nintex to work on their behalf for this.  Not, if you don't republish the workflow and run other instances of this workflow, the Authorizing user will not get more requests.  But if you republish the workflow, they will get one.  What this means, is that each time you republish a workflow, this request will get sent out.

You also specify the template name and then who you want to assign this to.  Notice near the bottom of that image, there are settings called Field name and Field values.  These are collection variables that contain the names of the fields you want to set in the document and also the values you want to them to.  We are also storing the Envelope ID, because we'll need it later.

We will see later, than in our workflow, we are actually building up these collection variables.

Now that the template has been populated with data and the request has been sent, what happens next?

The next step, is that we need to build a loop into our workflow.  The reason for this, is that the loop needs to continue doing what is inside it, while the document request has not be responded to.  Inside, we use another new action named "DocuSign retrieve envelope status".  Also, inside the Loop, we can do a check to see if we have a response and if not, go into a delay.

Poll.png

The settings for the DocuSign retrieve envelope status are quite straightforward. We need the Authorizing user, the envelope ID and also a variable to store the status.

The next main action, is the DocuSign download document.  Legally signed documents live in DocuSign.  This "download document" action, allows your to download a copy and store in a library or as an attachment.

DownloadDocument.png

DownloadDocumentSettings.png

You can see, how using the new Nintex Connector for DocuSign actions, really allows you to build in some document signing functionality, into your business processes.

I've attached the workflow for your to play around with.  You will need to tweak it, as it uses a Nintex Workflow constant.  So that should be quite easy for you to figure it out.

In Progress Workflow

When the workflow runs, it will communicate with DocuSign. That means, that while it is running, if you look at the workflow history of this workflow instance, you'll see it looks like something like this:

InProgress.png

This gives you a great idea of exactly where the workflow is currently at in it's process.

Signing the Document

When the workflow runs, the user will get an email and they'll follow a link that will take them to the DocuSign site.  There, they'll be provided with a page like this :

Request.png

The Review Document button will bring up the document where they can review it and eventually sign it.

NotSigned.png

The "Sign Here" little yellow button with the red arrow is a dead giveaway as to where you need to sign this document.  Click on this button and you'll be able to enter an electronic signature onto the form.

Signed.png

Once signed, you click on the "Confirm Signing" button that will be on the left of the document.

Since the document is signed, the workflow will pick that up and will complete the rest of the business logic in the workflow.

Completed Workflow.png

The final action this workflow performed, is to download the signed document and attach it to the current item the workflow is running on :

ItemWithAttachment.png

Remember that the document that is attached to the item is a copy of the original.  The original signed document (legal document) lives at DocuSign.

Conclusion

I'm sure you're thinking of any number of ways to use these actions.  Well, it all depends on your business processes.  But it's definitely a powerful new feature of Nintex Workflow.

More Information : Using the DocuSign connector for Approval Workflow and requiring signatures

if you have any questions, please feel free to add them to the comments section below.

31 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks Jennifer.  I'm glad you found it useful.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey Mike,

You can most certainly use Docusign for this. To get the Docusign actions you need to have Nintex Live installed and a Docusign account.  Check out Installing Nintex Workflow 2010 and Nintex Forms 2010 page 13 to help out with the install of Nintex Live if you need it. ‌

Badge +1

Vadim, this is a very straightforward explanation, thanks.  However, using DocuSign for O365, my workflow cannot get past the DocuSign Send Document action.  It just sits there and hangs forever.  My authorized user never gets the prompt to allow Nintex to access the account.  I'm using the example from Emily's "quick start" guide.  No go.  Do you have any idea what might be the problem or how to debug?  Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey Larry,

when you go into the Workflow History, there should be a little 'i' in a blue circle.  Click on that.  Is there any error in there?

cheers,

Vadim

Badge +1

No, Vadim, it just says started. I never do get the docusign permission email.

Sent from my Windows Phone

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey Larry,

can you send me an export of your workflow via email?

I'll take a look at it and if I can't figure it out, I'll pass it on to our DocuSign guru.

cheers,

Vadim

Badge +1

Tried again today, Vadim, still no luck.

It hangs in the Send to docusign action. Authorizing prompt never goes to the user’s email account.

Badge +3

Hey Vadim,

I have a problem with DocuSign workflow. workflow stuck on the action. I never receive the email to change the template

Best Regards
zak
Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi Zak,

are you working with the onprem or O365 version?

If the issue continues, please reach out to support@nintex.com

cheers,

Vadim

Badge +3

yes i'm workinf with onprem version

cheers,

Zak

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi Zak,

try configuring the Connection Manager with the DocuSign account you are trying to use.  See if that helps.

cheers,

Vadim

Badge +3

Hi Vadim

I want to do that but i don't see connection manger in the ribbon of the worfklow designer.

Cheers,

Zak

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

That may be because you aren't running the latest build of Nintex Workflow.

cheers,

Vadim

Badge +3

Hey Vadim, i see now the connection manager in the ribbon of workflow designer but this control is disabled:

Cheers

Zak

Badge +3

Hey Vadim,

I did the manager connection but the workflow remains stuck on the action DocuSign send document i don't receive the email to sign the document

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi Zak,

i'm afraid I don't know what this could be.  Please reach out to the Nintex Support team.

cheers,

Vadi

Hi,

Do you know how can we add more than one recipient? Signer 1 and signer 2. The action only allows one recipient.

Thanks,

Badge +4

Hi

Can we replace or overwrite MS word document file rather than PDF file?

Swap

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi Luis,

that is not something I've played around with.

Potentially, you could get one signature, get the signed doc and send it to someone else.  But it's not something I've played with.

cheers,

Vadim

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I believe the output from DocuSign is always a PDF.

Vadim

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Luis - I have tested this scenario extensively.  In fact, I was getting around to blogging about this.  In DocuSign, you can create templates, and each template allows multiple signers, and you specify in the template the order of the signers.  Each "signer" can either be a specific person (using an email address) or a placeholder.  With Nintex, you would typically use the "placeholder" option, because your Nintex Workflow can specify at runtime, who the actual recipient should be.

However, if you specify a second signer, you cannot use the "placeholder" option, because Nintex WF seems to delete the 2nd signer from the form in that case.  (This appears to be a bug or limitation in Nintex WF, at least according to DocuSign.)  If the 2nd signer is a "person", then DocuSign will properly route the form to that person after the first signer signs the form.  In this case, you only use one instance of the "Populate Template" action, and DocuSign will route it to both people in the correct order.

So in our case, we have HR forms that must be first signed by the employee (using the Placeholder option) and then get signed by the HR Manager.  Since there is only one HR Manager, we configured the 2nd signer as a "person", and hard coded the HR Manager's email address.

You can also have various fields in your template, that are associated with either the first signer or second signer, so before either person signs they can populate the appropriate fields.

Regards,

Tom Castiglia

That's is how we have it right now.

Yes, I tried that too, but in my case the two signers are dynamic and the template solution doesn't work for the second signer.

Thanks,

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Luis - I understand... I have not found a solution or work-around in that case.  I reported this already to Nintex and I will follow up.

Badge +7

Hi Tom Castiglia, I suppose you never got a concrete response from Nintex about allowing multiple recipients ?

same as Using DocuSign Connector actions with multiple signers