Repeat Workflow To Start Again After Item Is Modified

• 23 August 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi guys, 

I have a question. I have created a workflow that runs if todays date < project date and if the progress equals 10%,20% and 30%. Then a list item gets updated with the text 'Project Date Is Expired'. 

After that the third action comes up which is again a Run If Action and is set up that when todays date < project date but the progress is changed to 40%, 50%, 60% until 100% the same list item gets updated as 'Documents Are Sent Out'. 

But when I again change the progress to 10%, 20% or 30% I want the list item to get updated back to 'Project Date Is Expired' and this doesn't happen. How can I let the workflow start over again and run through the same steps as when it begins. 

Please send help 🙂 

Thanks in advance!

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @AnnaLee 

I'm trying to interpret your requirements. It would help my understanding if you can provide answers to the following questions.

1. What triggers the workflow (or how is the workflow started)?

Manual Start, Start when items are created, Start when items are modified

2. How does the workflow "pause" while it waits for updates to the Progress?

Does it "pause" or does it continue and end? This is because the 2nd Run If condition will not be met and everything will skip to the next action.

How is the Progress updated - Manually or by workflow or some other method?

3. If workflow just runs without any "pause". Then this should be the outcome, right?

Hope you can elaborate your requirements. 

Hi @Garrett , 

Thank you very much for your extensive explanation!

1) the workflow is triggered when items are modified and created.

I want it to start scheduled everyday but that is a different discussion. 

2) I think the workflow ends and skips to the second condition as the first is not met

3) This is true. If the workflow doesn't pause that should be the outcome

You almost interpreted the process right, but not the values.

I have attached a new picture with some more explanation.

The blue field explains how and when I want to start the workflow again when progress is changed back again. Do you know how I can achieve this? Thanks a lot for all the help!!

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @AnnaLee 

a) The workflow is a daily Scheduled Workflow. ok, understood

b) The workflow will run to completion (Start to End) 

c) When the workflow runs, does it process the entire list items? or does it process just a single item (which is weird)?

So when you change a Project Status to 20%, when the workflow next run, it should change text to 'Documents Are Sent Out'. 

Did you meant to ask - How to force the workflow to run again?

- Refer here https://help.nintex.com/en-US/office365/Workflows/StartEvents/ManuallyStartWorkflow.htm 

Did you meant to ask - How to create a Scheduled Workflow?

You need to create a Scheduled Site Workflow
- Refer here Scheduling Site Workflows In Nintex for Office 365 - Nintex Community

Cheers

Hi @Garrett,

Thanks for replying!

It is a list workflow and I want to make it a site workflow in which I can schedule it to start but I don't know how to configure the same actions.

No, when the progress is changed back to 20% it should say project information is delivered too late again. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

HI @AnnaLee 

Do you have NWC? No, register for a 30-days Trial

It has the scheduled start feature

Cheers