Form/Workflow clearing out field

• 13 August 2018
  • 8 replies

Badge +6

I have a Nintex Form and Nintex Workflows that run off of the Nintex Form.  I am not sure exactly what is causing this to happen, but I am finding that a 'Status' field is being cleared out.  I had one instance where another field was edited on the form, and upon hitting 'Submit' the 'Status' field was cleared out.  Most instances seem to occur when a workflow runs.  The workflow runs successfully, but the 'Status' field does not have the value in it.  ***The workflows, at the end of the workflow are supposed to update the 'Status' field with a particular value.  The workflow shows it successfully completed that task, but the field is blank.

I have noticed in other threads there have been other instances within workflows that are supposed to update a field and they are not updating.  I have since gone back into my workflows and added a 'Commit pending changes' action after all the 'Update Items' actions.  What I am still concerned with, is how the 'Status' field got cleared out when the user edited the request (the edit was one that did not cause a workflow to run).

Lastly, we are using the same list we used earlier in the year, and never had issues with fields getting cleared out.  Now we are using the data in the list to trigger purchasing to occur, and now we are seeing this issue occurring.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!!

8 replies

Badge +6

I am adding a follow-up.  A request can be in a certain status (field on the form).  The request could be moving through a workflow, but is stopped at a point, waiting for something to be completed before moving on.  The end user working the request, may go into the request and add a comment for documentation purposes.  Upon hitting 'Submit' the status field is cleared out (not just on the form, but in the actual list).

The issue is getting worse (happening more and more often), that the status field is being cleared out upon hitting 'Submit' on the form after editing.

Any help in addressing what is causing this to happen and how to resolve it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

so do you mean the field gets cleared by the form itself, even without running workflow?

once you open the form for edit, can you see actual value from the list item on the form?

what's the type of Status field? can you post it's configuration?

do you have any javascript code on the form that may manipulated Status form control value?

do you have by any chance multiple form controls connected to the Status list field?

Badge +6

yes, the request could be in the middle of a workflow, or no workflow at all.

After submitting and it gets cleared out, going back into the form, the value is not displayed.  It's like it resets itself back to blank.

The field is a standard Choice field, Drop Down style.  It does not allow fill-ins, and the field is not required. (Screen Shots of setup below.)

We do have some custom JavaScript for this control.  It disables some of the options so the end user cannot select them.  The disabled options are set by the workflows.

When you say multiple form controls, please expand?  I have rules on my form to hide or require certain fields depending on the particular status selected.

Thank you for your help!

Userlevel 5
Badge +14
After submitting and it gets cleared out, going back into the form, the value is not displayed

I meant it

- check the status value in list view

- open item in edit form => does the status value show? the same value value as in list view?

- save/submit the form => check the value in list view - does the value show? the same value?

We do have some custom JavaScript for this control.  It disables some of the options so the end user cannot select them.  The disabled options are set by the workflows.

it's known that nintex need not to save disabled/hidden controls.

do you disable actual status value as well?

can you try whether it gets cleared without javascript in place?

When you say multiple form controls, please expand?  

do you eg. have status field/control twice on the form? eg. on different tabs, or one at the top of the form and other one at the bottom, do you have connected a button to status field (as well), etc.

Badge +6

Status in list matches status showing on Form.  Once an edit to the form is made, and user hits 'Submit'.  Status is list as well as on form is "reset" to blank.

Below is what the status drop down looks like on the form.  Notice There are statuses which are lighter in color, those have been essentially disabled by the JavaScript code (image in earlier response).  The lighter values are the statuses that are set by workflows.  They are essentially disabled from being selected from Form view.  I can select the all status values in List View(this is how I am currently "fixing" the issue when a status is cleared out).

We have not tried taking out the JavaScript code to see if the statuses clear out or not, mainly because we wanted to first know if the JavaScript is causing the issue or not.  We do not want users selecting certain statuses.  If we enable the statuses, the end users will end up selecting them, which will cause workflow issues.

There is only 1 status field on the form.

Thank you.

Badge +6

I believe I have resolved the issue.  I added some customer JavaScript to the Save button.

Upon hitting 'Save', the first thing that is done, is all the Status options that are disabled I re-enable.  So far, statuses are no longer clearing out upon hitting 'Save'.

Abbreviated Code added to 'Save' button:

NWF$(document).ready(function(){
      NWF$('.OverallStatus option[value="Final DocuSign Prep"]').prop('disabled',false);
})

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

so it looks like the value got cleared because of actual option value was disabled, as I mentioned above wink.png

Abbreviated Code

note if you want to change a property of all the option you need not to address each one separately.

you can change all of them with single call like

NWF$('.OverallStatus option').prop('disabled',false);
Badge +6

Thank you, Marian!  Yes, that would be simpler, but not all status value options I want disabled...only certain ones, which is why I had to go the route I did with the coding.

Thank you for your help!!