Workflow triger based on the value of the column which gets set by another workflow

• 29 August 2016
  • 9 replies

Badge +9

Hi All,

Following is the scenario

• There are two list "Parent" and "Child" as soon as the item is added in the "Parent" a workflow with "Create Item" creates item in "Child"
  • When a new Item is created in "Child" another workflow updated the "ChildListID" column of the "Parent" with the item ID of the "Child" item
  • Now I want to trigger a new workflow when "ChildListID" column of the "Parent" has value.

Issues:

• The condition in  workflow "Start When Item is modified"  is "ChildListID" greater than 0.But the condition never gets trigger because "ChildListID" is getting updated by another workflow.

Workaround I am using:

• I have added "Wait until "ChildListID" greater than 0 and have selected "Yes" in "Start When Item is modified".
  • Issue is that the workflow always remain in progress which may impact the performance.

Please suggest the best practice

9 replies

Badge +8

Hi aditya gandhe​,

It sounds like you are making it much complexer than needed. In the workflow on the parent list, you can use the  'Store new item in' field in the 'Create item' action to get the ID of the item created in the child list. Having that ID, you can do what you want next, like update the item of the parent, start another workflow, ...

190419_pastedImage_4.png

Cheers,

Rick

Please mark this reply as a correct answer if it answers your question.

Badge +9

Thanks Rick,

For this requirement its working.But in case of general situation when I need to trigger a workflow based on the column value which gets updated by another workflow then what would be the best soln?

Badge +8

Hi aditya gandhe​,

The best practice is to use a conditional start and you already do that based on your description.

I tried to reproduce your situation, but I could not. In my SharePoint 2013 environment it works just fine as I expected.

I created 2 lists. On list 1, I have a workflow with the following setting:

190422_pastedImage_0.png

List 2 contains a workflow which updates an item in list 1, and thus triggers the workflow on list 1. This works just fine.

Cheers,

Rick

Badge +11

aditya gandhe maybe you should screenshot your workflow settings screen to see if something isn't setup properly.

Badge +9

Since its on client network I am not able to share the screenshot. But my question is more generic and it can be tried in any situation

Badge +8

info.png In that case, you already got your answer.

Badge +9

No, I didn't. For other conditions I am still using wait until update action

Badge +11

You had a look at

?

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

You'll need to make the change that Philipp suggested so that the system account running  the workflow will be able to trigger the second workflow upon update.