workflows to copy specific items from list to another upon creation

• 27 October 2017
  • 6 replies

Badge +3

Hello guys, 

I was wondering if there's a way to create a workflow that when an item gets added to a list, copies specific columns from that item onto another list. Any help is appreciated.

6 replies

Badge +4

Hi

You can use the "Create Item" action and then use the columns you want to copy over, to create a new item in the second list.

Badge +3

Hi Renske, 

Are there any examples i can use? i've been looking at around and haven't found anything. 

Badge +3

So what i'm trying to accomplish is, when a user adds an item to List_1, only certain items will be copied to List_2. And if the user updates a current item on List_1, only certain items are updated on List_2. These will be the same items that get copied over when the new item is created on List_1. I hope this makes sense. 

Thanks for any help.

Badge +3

Can someone please point me in the right direction? 

Badge +4

Hi,

To create an item in List 2 after item was created in List 1

So when you create your workflow in List 1 use  'Create Item' action to create the item in List 2. You will see that the columns from List 2 are available from the Field dropdown in the action. Here you can select which fields in list 2 you want to update. Make sure to store the Item ID of the new item in List 2, in a column in List 1 so that you know which list items are connected.

To update the item in list 2 when the item was updated in List 1:

Create another workflow and set the start condition to only run when the item was modified. Then in the workflow use the 'Update Item' action to update your item in List 2. Use the Item ID that you stored in your list to find the connected item in List 2 to update    

Badge +3

Hi Renske, 

Thank you for your response. I was able to get it implemented from your steps. I really appreciate your help. 

Cheers!