move converted pdf to library

• 11 January 2016
  • 3 replies

Badge +8

Good day ladies and gents,

I have a doozy for you.  I converted a file to a pdf in nintex workflows and now I want to move the new file [pdf] to document library folder. But the workflow is still running on the item the it converted it from, not the pdf, so how do it move it?  I thought about kicking off a sub workflow, but there is still the issue of how to identify it...maybe by name?

As always any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,

Jennifer

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Jennifer -

You could certainly do this in a sub-workflow or the same workflow.  You could use the Copy Item action to locate the new PDF and copy it to another folder (it works similar to the Query List action).  This assumes that you have a unique name or other metadata to filter by to find the PDF file.  Then use the Delete Item action to delete the original PDF.

However, assuming that you used the Convert Document action in the first place to create the PDF file, here is another approach:

1. Use the Create Item folder to create a new folder first (unless the folder already exists)
  2. Use Build String action to format the URL that you want the new PDF file to have (including the new folder name, file name and extension).  Save the URL to a variable.
  3. In the Convert Document action, select the URL variable for the new PDF file.  Now your new PDF will be created in the right folder to begin with.

Let me know if any of my assumptions were off base.

Regards,

Tom Castiglia

Badge +8

Thanks Tom, I was able to use the output url in the actual action and it moves it to the appropriate library. 

Thanks again for the information,

Jennifer

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Thanks for the update.  Glad to hear it.