Can you use 'Create List' and 'Create Item' on the same workflow?

• 6 October 2018
  • 2 replies

Badge +4

Hi All,

I have a SharePoint site for the Programme Management Office (PMO) and I create a document library for each project, within that document library there are several template documents for each one (project mandate, risk register, report template etc) all of which are there as content types. They all need to be there at the start of the project so I add them all in the libraries as soon as I've made it. I do this manually from the 'New' menu.

I'm looking to see if I can get a workflow to do this and understand I would be using 'Create List' for the document library and 'Create Item' for the documents. I've been able to do the former fine. But when it comes to configuring the 'Create Item' action the 'Create Item In' dropdown list only has all the current document libraries and not the one I've made earlier in the workflow.

I've done a previous workflow where I've wanted to create a folder and then a document within that folder and have had to be a bit creative with the 'build string' to get the link for it, but that option doesn't appear on 'Create Item'.

Any recommendations would be really appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi, couldn't you save your already configured document library as a template and use that template in the create list action? This way it should be already set to use the same content types (and their templates)

Giacomo

Badge +4

Hi Giacomo,

Thanks for the reply. I did consider this, however after the file was created I was hoping to use the 'Update Document' action in conjunction with it.

I suppose I could probably do this as a separate workflow so will have a look and update.

Harry