Would like to have macro support in Doc Gen for Salesforce

• 15 August 2018
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

This is a feature request.  It would be really a great feature for doc gen to work with macro-enabled Word Docs.  Right now when you try and run a DDP over a macro saved Word Doc in Salesforce, all you get is a doc full of Drawloop tags.  No data.  

6 replies

Badge +7

Marcel, are you using a .docm file or a .doc file with a macro?  We have no plans to support the execution of macros but have customers that run the macros once we have merged the data into the document. 

Could you give us an idea or your use case and what you are trying to accomplish with the macro.

Hi Vinnie,

Is it possible to run macros on excel or not? We are not able to get the output in the format we need, but using macros would help out in that.

In our use case, the data is pulled in from a Salesforce report and we use excel as middleware to format the data and perform some summarization and calculation to that. And finally, that summarized data is pulled into a word template.

So is it possible to run the macros on the excel middleware? 

thanks,

Safiya

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi,

Because Macros present security risks, for that reason specifically, we don't run macros. I don't think that Nintex want to run customers macros in its platform. I hope so. Macros should be run on your platform following the security strategy and policy of your organization. Most of time and by default macros are blocked. If your organization authorizes it, using certificates or other GPO, you should be able to run it when opening the document or excel. 

Using functions, pivot tables, graphs, etc. using Excel as Middleware works.

I would recommend to read the article https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/guidance/macro-security-for-microsoft-office that explains the risks and encourage to turn off macros. 

My2cents,
^^

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@Safiya Do you have an example of something you are trying to achieve? Often you can make formulas dynamic to deal with summaries like this without requiring macros.

Hi Leigh,

Attached here what exactly we doing and trying to achieve. The PDF is the final output, the excel is the middleware where all the transformation of data is being done. It is a pretty complex transformation, however, we are not able to get all the data correctly as we want.

Recently have come to Power Query on Excel, would that run dynamically each time the report is run?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@Safiya Is it just the format that is an issue or a value you are trying to get and can't. Power queries require a manual refresh on open to update the fresh data.