Confusion about Button "Save" Action in Nintex Workflow for Office 365

• 12 August 2016
  • 3 replies

Badge +4

When I use save button in workflow office 365, items were not really saved into form, I reopened the form, things were there, but in the list, I couldn't find it. Seemed that save button was just a draft for current approver, only when approver clicked save and submit, the draft was really save into list and could be seen by other approvers. In nintex form, things work well.

I have searched for this question, but I don't find enough details I want:What's the difference between "Save" and "Save and Submit" Button Actions in Nintex Forms? may be, this link is not for office 365.

what I want to know is: Is there a function between save and save and submit in Nintex workflow for office 365, what I mean is:

• "save" Action: things are saved as a draft, can't be seen by other approvers, and the workflow task doesn't run.
  • XXX Action: things are saved into list, can be seen by other approvers(or an option for "save" action that makes saved information could be seen by other approvers)
  • "save and submit" Action: things are saved into list, can be seen by other approvers, and the workflow task runs.

3 replies

Badge +9

I have not worked on O365 Nintex that much. But from your statement I feel that when "Save" is clicked the item should be visible by Approvers but Workflow should not work after clicking on "Save and Submit" the wokflow should start?

If that's the situation then:

• Add a column named "CheckSave" with default value 0
  • Add 2 "Save and Submit" buttons .i.e "Save" "Save and Submit". During the New form make "Save and Submit" button hidden When save button is clicked Approvers would be able to see the item but workflow wont start
  • During the edit by Approver make"Save" button hidden and connect "Save and Submit" button to "CheckSave" and return the value 1.so when the button is clicked it will be 1
  • Now in workflow check if the "CheckSave" is 1
Badge +4

No, some nodes of the workflow is actually updating information(or Unlimited times approval). so based on what the blog(Nintex Forms - Save or Submit - Vadim Tabakman​) said, when a workflow task comes, current approver could click Button of "save" action to update the information, when current approver had given enough information, he might click Button of "save and submit" action  to end current approval process, then the workflow would go to next approver. Howerver, what I found Button of  "save" action in workflow office 365 is just draft to current approver, updated information couldn't  be share to other approvers.  Only when approver clicked Button of "save and submit" action, could the information be really saved and be able to see by other approvers, however, in this case, current approvers could only update the information for once, then the approval process is moving to the next approver( or do some logic control, just infinite loop, can't jump to next approver).

We thought a workaround, just resending workflow to current approver, as this node has multiple approvers, it's boring and weird to cancel and to resend other approvers current workflow task again and again. So we have to do some filter-work when we resend current workflow task. too much work to do and it's not easy to do filter-work.

So at last, we found Button of "save" action is the best choice and what we need, but by the demo we built and tested, it's just a draft for current approver, I don't know if I had do some thing wrong or not got enough information of Nintex office 365.

Badge +4

Nintex Forms for Office 365 - Release Notes 

26th April 2017

• Save and Continue - A new button action that will allow users to save a form and keep the form open.

Seemed what I need(I am not sure if updated information could  be seen by other approves, I don't have a test environment at hand), but it's too late for my previous project.