How do I insert reference into Rich Text Control based upon choice outcome on the same form?

• 13 August 2018
  • 2 replies

Badge +3

I'm trying to display a user choice outcome from a drop down list in a rich text control in the same form.  The "insert Reference" button has worked well for me previously, but it does not list form variables in the dialog box to use as reference data.  This choice outcome is not set anywhere else in the workflow.  I can use a calculated value field to display the data but it is not as pleasing to the eye as an inserted reference in a rich text control.  Please advise.

Choice Settings:

218102_pastedImage_2.png

Form variable:

218103_pastedImage_3.png

Insert Reference Dialog Box:

218104_pastedImage_4.png

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Though I am not entirely certain, I am under the assumption that you are wanting to use the Rich Text Control for display purposes only and not for interactive purposes. 

If that is the case, then I would indeed recommend using a Calculated Control instead, but using the custom class to style the control to your specifications in css. 

Doing this would also make it so that you don't have to use a Form Variable to 'transfer' the value from the Choice Control to the Calculated Control, and because you would be using a Calculated Control, your formula could be more robust allowing you to do things like set up a 'default' messaged when no choices have been made. 

Badge +3

The rich text displayed here (MIKE NIELSEN has DENIED this invoice);

218117_pastedImage_1.png

Was configured in the control like this:

218118_pastedImage_2.png

218120_pastedImage_4.png

Is there no way to do this using a form variable?  I've tried connecting the choice control (which sets the form variable) to a workflow variable or a Sharepoint list column (item property) to no avail.  I assume it's because this data isn't set anywhere else in the workflow.  I suppose I can use CSS to customize the calculated field's appearance but I would much rather use the method detailed in the snips above.