Continue workflow to next approver after previous approval is rejected

• 11 October 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

I noticed that after the FPAD rejects a request, the request workflow ends and completes right then and there. I need the workflow to still continue and get the approvals from the approvers that come after the FPAD. I am a beginner in using Nintex Workflows. I need to make this change but I fear messing up the existing live workflow. Here is the current workflow image and the way it is laid out. The workflow stops right after the FDAD rejects and doesn't go on to the CD approval.. How can I fix it?

26733i59050F0DE7D806F3.png

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @nikitapatel 

1. NEVER make changes to a LIVE SYSTEM unless you are certain of what you are doing

2. GOLDEN RULE. Always make a backup.

Export the Form.

Export the Workflow.

Copy the Form and Workflow files to a USB Thumbdrive.

3. You should attempt to duplicate the workflow to a TESTING or DEVELOPMENT SYSTEM.

Copy the List structure, the form and the workflow to the Testing system. 

Make the changes and test it there.

Once you have done the above 3 steps, Here is what you need to do next

The highlighted Run-if is preventing the rest of the workflow to run when the FPAD Rejects (or does not Approves). 

There is 2 possible ways to continue.

a) Add another condition to the existing condition. 

I suggest you to refer to the top Run-IF FPAD Rejected condition.

FPAD_Approval Equals "Approved" (Pls check the exact term - "Approve", "Approves")

OR 

FPAF_Approval Equals "Rejected" (again, pls check the exact term) 

b) Add an Action Set

Drag all the actions in the Run-IF FPAD Approved action into the new Action Set.

Collapse any action that can be collapsed and drag it.

Be sure to retain the exact structure.

Publish and test out the workflow in the Test Systems. 

Once it working correctly, perform the changes to the Live system

Remember to make a backup prior to making any changes

Badge +3

Hi,

I tried option A in the sandbox environment however, it still ended the workflow and didn't proceed to the next set of approvers.

I also attempted option B and it failed to work as well

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @nikitapatel 

Smart idea to try the sandbox environment.

1) Can you show what is the condition of both the original Run-IF?

Just want to verify that the exact words for the condition values.

2) Transfer all the item in the Run-If into the action set.

End result is:

All the actions inside the Run-if has been transferred into the action set.

Leaving an Empty Run-IF.

Badge +3

Hello,

I wanted to come back here and mention that after I made those changes, the workflow still continues after a rejection is made... but now... when the first approval task gets approved - it stops the workflow and completes it and doesn't move forward. 

Today, the approver approved the first task, and it completed the workflow right there. It should have gone to the second and third approval tasks, but it didn't. Last time when the first approver rejected it completed the workflow and it didn't go to the second and third approver.

My requirements for this process are:

1. There are 3 sets of approvals needed - whether they are approved or rejected

2. Even if the first approval task is rejected/approved, the workflow has to continue sending out the notification email with the task to approve or reject until it reaches the last approver

Attached is how the process looks... please help with the best way to go about this.