Only show specific forms and tasks in your custom branded Nintex App

• 29 March 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge +8

With Nintex App Studio you can create your own branded Nintex app. What perhaps not everyone knows, is that you can filter the forms and tasks that are shown in it. This functionality is already present for some time but the way to do this has changed over time.

This blog post has the goal to show you how to filter forms and tasks in your custom branded Nintex App at this moment.

I created the following objects for the purpose of this blog post:

1. A workflow in Nintex Workflow Cloud. This workflow contained an 'Express approval' action.
  2. Two lists in Office 365. The lists have their own Nintex form and both have a Nintex workflow connected to it containing a flexi task.
  3. Four lists in SharePoint 2016. The lists have their own Nintex form and 2 lists have a Nintex workflow connected to it containing a flexi task.
  4. Two lists in SharePoint 2013. The lists have their own Nintex form and both have a Nintex workflow connected to it containing a flexi task.

I also added an item to all lists and started the related workflow where possible. I did a manual start of the NWC workflow.

To be able to filter the forms and tasks, you first have to export:

• the required forms for the forms you want to have in your custom branded Nintex App.
  • the required workflows for the tasks you want to have in your custom branded Nintex App.

Then login to the Nintex App Studio, create a new app or edit an existing one.

The magic happens in the content tab:

When clicking on it, the following is shown:

As you can see, at 'Tasks' and 'Forms' there is the option: Add filter.

Boom. There it is silly.png The place to upload the exported forms and workflows. As a reminder:

• Tasks > Workflows
  • Forms > Forms

At tasks you must select 'I want to [Show only tasks from listed workflows]' and then upload the workflows. At Forms you must select 'I want to [Show only list forms]' and then upload the forms..

In the screenshot below, you can see that I uploaded 3 workflows and 4 forms.

Click on 'Save & Build' and your custom branded Nintex app is on its way happy.png

What I also want to share:

As I mentioned before, I added objects in 4 different environments (NWC, Office 365, SP2016 and SP2013). When I installed the app on my phone (Android), I first had to create a profile. Then, I had the option to add the connections (one per environment) which I configured in the Nintex App Studio. Unfortunately, my app kept crashing when adding the NWC connection so I had to skip that one. I also did not see the Office 365 form and task (hoping the later did work happy.png) but the SharePoint 2013/2016 stuff worked perfectly. In the following days I will investigate my NWC and Office 365 issue and keep you informed.

Cheers,

Rick

nintex app studio‌

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You should be able to find the O365 filtered form, let me know if you continue to have trouble with that. But the task in O365 may not appear until it is also supported by the Nintex Mobile App. I don't believe O365 tasks are supported yet. 

Badge +8

I know that O365 does not yet support tasks. I was just hoping for it 

Thanks for the help offer. I am going to try several other scenario's. I have a Windows phone and tablet too which I can use. I will post my findings here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I don't know the cause, but in one of my deployments I had to sign out of the app and sign back in for the "show only this form" filtering to take place. None of my other users needed to do this, just me on the initial test launch. 

Badge +8

Hmm. When using only the specific environments (NWC / O365 / On-Prem), everything is just fine. But when I add multiple environments in one app, things became unstable. I even got a nice "Attempt to invoke virtual method 'boolean java.lang.String.contains(java.lang.CharSequence)' message when adding an account. For now, I let it be and proceed to my next experiment.

I also noticed that when I only had an O365 connection and added a corporate (on-prem) connection to it, there was no 'Tasks' section in 'Content'. I could add it though. Not sure if that was the reason of the ^^ message I got.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I was able to add multiple O365 and one NWC tenant in the same app profile without login issue. If that continues, see if adding profiles and segregating an account helps.