Nintex Workflow, Webhooks, and Microsoft Teams

• 25 June 2017
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

First off, big shout out to Patrick Abel‌ for writing his blog: Sending Microsoft Teams notifications using Webhooks & the Nintex Workflow Cloud

His blog was made aware to me by the ever responsive Bingham Blalock‌ as we were discussing ideas around Nintex Workflow Cloud and Microsoft Teams. I had done what Patrick details in his blog while exploring different ways to connect Nintex and Teams. The thought is to create a connector within NWC so that you can easily add in an action and connect to any Team conversation (like Slack). Before you get your hopes up, this is not a blog announcing a Teams connector for NWC... not yet!

I wanted to bring this topic to the attention of the community in the hopes of sparking some further conversations and brainstorming. Also, I wanted to show everyone that this is not just limited to Nintex Workflow Cloud. Since we are leveraging a web request action, just about any Nintex Workflow can use this! I did examples for this blog using Nintex Workflow Cloud, Nintex for Office 365, as well as Fiddler (just to test).

204880_pastedImage_3.png

The Setup

I recommend going to Patrick's blog to see how to set this up, but here is a high-level overview.

Make sure you have Teams enabled within your tenant!

Once you have your team in place, you will need to add in the and simply add in the Incoming Webhook connector.

204908_pastedImage_4.png

204909_pastedImage_5.png

Once you add it to your channel, give it a name and click Create.

204911_pastedImage_10.png

After you create the connector, be sure to copy the URL that is provided (you'll need it later)!

204913_pastedImage_2.png

Now we have an Incoming Webhook connector in our Team channel thus allowing us to post messages via a web service! So, let's go over to Nintex workflow and knock that part out!

The Workflow

I am not going to go over how to do it in Nintex Workflow Cloud as Patrick detailed that side of things perfectly (seriously, go check it out). I am going to go over how to set this up using Nintex for Office 365 and Fiddler. Let's go into O365 first.

If you don't have a list workflow to use, simply create a list and jump into the designer. For this workflow, you will need a total of one, yes one, action; the Web Request.

204914_pastedImage_3.png

Inside your Web Request Action, you will need to paste that URL from the webhook connector. Be sure to select the POST method and update the Content type to be application/json

204915_pastedImage_4.png

Lastly, you will need to add in the Body. Here is where you update the message you want to post. You could set this to be a variable, and then dynamically post messages. Save and Publish your workflow and you are ready to go!

Fiddler

If you are interested in playing around with web services or simply want to test them before doing it in a workflow, I recommend getting Fiddler or Postman. Here is a screenshot of how to set this up in Fiddler:

204917_pastedImage_12.png

Final Thoughts

If you made it this far, congratulations, you can now have your workflows post messages to you Teams' channels happy.png

But what are we gaining? What can we leverage this for?

For me, I can easily see this being deployed to a channel so that the participants can be made aware of when a workflow is kicked off, or completed, or even when a task is created. Perhaps an admin channel for all the workflow admins so that they can monitor all the workflows in one place. What other uses could this be leveraged for? What do you see when hearing this?

One last thing (as I stumbled upon this while writing the blog happy.png), you can add in multiple incoming webhook connectors to your channel. So, if you want one from NWC, one from O365, and one from FLOW, you can do that.

Until next time!

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hey Jesse! Great post, as always. The first thing I envision when I look at this is some kind of - as you say - Nintex Admin dashboard. 

While it'd also be great for things like onboarding and employee review tracking, I feel like I'd get a huge benefit off of having some organized state of errors coming in for me to go check out - and through a Team?! Seems more organized than other ways I might be able to do it ...

Badge +8

‌ thanks for the shout out! It's great to see other people experimenting with MS Teams + NWC!

Badge +8

One thing I'll mention – the formatting capabilities of "cards" created in MS Teams have gotten much better since my blog was published back in March. If you're wanting to get fancy, the Card Playground is a great place to experiment with the JSON payload look and feel.