cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

March Mission: How Would You Use Nintex Workflow Cloud?

Not applicable
11 32 8,045

march17 badgeThis month, we're giving you an opportunity to impact the development of our Nintex Workflow Cloud platform!

And all you have to do is tell us how you'd use it.

The mission has three parts.  You get 50 points for posting a reply with an answer to each below:

1. What specific Enterprise Resource Planning System (ERP) do you want to connect to? Tell us the name of the ERP vendor, and version if you can.
  2. What scenarios would you create? In other words, tell us what business processes are you trying to automate.
  3. What actions and events would you want to accomplish your process?  Nintex Workflow Cloud is still being built. If you tell us what workflow actions you need to address your scenarios, we can put them in the queue for development!

That's it!  Our product managers are excited to learn what you want!

For background, visit the Nintex Workflow Cloud‌ space.  You'll find an overview video. And if you visit the "how-to" page there, you'll find four more videos showing you how to create various workflows.

To see some scenarios we've already provided, see these:

Create your own approval and routing workflow with Nintex Workflow Cloud and a file share 

Create your own contract approval workflow with Nintex Workflow Cloud, the Branch by Value action an... 

Many thanks to the tremendous response to our February 2017 Mission: Real World Solution‌!  The badges and points will be rewarded for that soon!

Tags (2)
32 Comments
Automation Master
Automation Master

Does it have to be realistic?

For example, last week on Twitter, ‌, ‌, and I think ‌ and I were talking about a Raspberry Pi with a temperature collection that can tell when it gets to a certain heat, and then would use the workflow cloud to order ice cream from a delivery service...

Is Dairy Queen a good idea for a Workflow Cloud connection? Maybe not

Oh and then we agreed that we wouldn't want to get ice cream delivered if it were like, a fire, for example. So we'd need an upper limit ...

Not applicable

I think the most helpful information would be realistic, yes.  That said, if some IoT scenario that's fun could be turned into something for the real world, no harm, right? For example, if that same temperature collection were connected to a business's refrigeration system and used Nintex Workflow Cloud to schedule regular maintenance, then... Seems worthwhile.

The point of the mission is to collect some information for our product team.  But I'll certainly reward anyone who completes the mission.  :)

Nintex Newbie

this is a dream come true...

it would rather be useful if my fridge can understand that i am out of ice cream and just order stuff that will fit in (plus a few i can eat right away)

Nintex Newbie
  1. We are a mining company and we primarily use SAP as our ERP system for HR, Finance, Logisitcs, Sales and Distribution, Safety, Health, Environment and Quality and some other functionality. So my main request would be integration to the SAP suite (Version ERP6, and probably the Success factors that some clients are using).  We also use MineRP (Mine planning software), PPMS and LIMS
  2. At the moment we are building functions in SAP and exposing that as web services and then using that to get information from or to SharePoint.  I know that one of the Nintex competitor products has got standards SAP connectors and I would like to see something like that in Nintex Cloud.   We are busy automating the unstructured processes that lead-up to capturing data in one of our formal ERP systems, i.e. Attendance approval process and then updating that record to SAP. 
    • Attendance Approval process.  Establish integration between all our clocking systems and update the attendance back to SAP.  If a clock-in was not picked up, email the employee to ask where he was and then update his/her attendance record accordingly.
    • Leave record.  As soon as a person submit a leave record, check the systems to see if the employee setup their substitutions and where not send the employee and employee to request the substitutes details.  Go back to the leave record and read the end date and then setup the substitution from start to end date.
    • Call logging solution - In IT we have three different call logging solutions depending on who takes care of the call with one central helpdesk that routes the calls to the right system.  I would like to build a list that allows a end-user to identify the problem by answering a few questions or selecting from a tree structure and then submitting the request.  The workflow should determine which system(s) to log the calls in and then log the call.
    • Build a mobile application for all the inspections and audits that are required by law. These audits can be huge and we are finding it difficult to make it work with the existing Nintex Mobile platform and SharePoint limitations.
  3. The actions that I would like to have to enable me to do this?
    • I would like to be able to side step the SAP workflow engine and use Nintex to create workflow that fully integrate with SAP functions and code. So that I can not only focus on the unstructured but the structured processes as well. This will speed up development time dramatically.  So a SAP-Workflow Action that points to the SAP system.
    • Better mobile interaction capability.  At the moment the mobile application is designed as a second priority.  Many functions are not available in the mobile app.  To remain relevant I think Nintex will have to change this and design mobile first.  Everyone wants to use their phones or tablets to interact with the systems. 
    • One mobile form should also be able to open or call a next mobile form depending on rules or values filled in

I'm sure I can add more but that is enough for now :)

Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

We are a utility company and about half of our workforce is in the field. I am not familiar with all of the systems that they use to monitor what areas are without power or if a transformer is down, but there has to be some system that alerts them (other than angry customers calling in!). In my mind, a process should kick off when a neighborhood loses power or a transformer blows that alerts all groups involved. When I say all groups, I mean internal departments, as well as affected customers.

I envision a process that determines the closest truck/team and notifies them that they are needed. At the same time, internal departments can be notified to start assessing the situation in more detail.  The process will also start the conversation with customers via twitter, SMS, etc. that an outage has occurred (duh) and provide some insight around estimated down time.

I would like to see this grow into something more, such as preventative maintenance, but many of our outages happen due to things out of our control (fallen tree, car accidents, etc). 

I am in the process of getting mobile forms and tasks more mainstream, so it is a matter of time I feel

Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

My wife and I were talking about this when you were posting it on Twitter and we got talking about "smart" refrigerators and how it would be great if they could order groceries for you.

Imagine, if you will, you want to have pasta for dinner along with some bread and then wrap it up with some dessert. You place the "order" with your refrigerator, it figures out what ingredients you already have on-hand, and then orders the rest of what you need from the local (closest or favorite) store. You can have the option to either pick it up or have them deliver it (perhaps via Uber Grocery...) and you have it all ready to cook in time for dinner.

We have 3 kids and going to the grocery store is always an adventure! Last time I took all 3 with me we knocked down a Sprite display...the ones that are stacked cans...yeah...it happened...but back to the point, many people, I feel, would use this in a pinch when they couldn't leave the house, or they do not have time to walk through the store and pick it all out. On top of that, it reduces the amount of waste, as you will not be buying items on impulse. 

Automation Master
Automation Master

Realistic requirement:

Confluence & Freshbooks.

For our vacation booking, we need to get approval from our manager, then once we do, we need to add it to FreshBooks, then the Confluence calendar, then alert accounting. 

Then, block it off in our Outlook calendar.

If that could be done in one fell swoop - ie, "does manager approve? yes? trigger freshbooks, trigger confluence, send .ics for outlook" - that would be fantastic. 

Nintex Newbie

OpaccERP | Opacc - Extended Enterprise Software  isn't a big, global player. But since this is a "You have one wish for free"-discussion, I would like to see a connector to their ERP-System.
One scenario could be, to generate shipping notes when a mechanic replaces a certain part and store the document in SharePoint, OneDrive, Dropbox, whatever. Here I would trigger the workflow manually. But may the customer would like to receive all collected documents at once. Then a "calculate 5 days before the end of a month"-trigger would be very useful.

Automation Master
Automation Master
  1. We use SAP for our ERP
  2. Not related to SAP but i would use this for external users to submit information about site visits, or for onboarding
  3. I would like there to be an approval process that ultimately pushes data directly into SharePoint or SAP dependent on the app.
Nintex Newbie

Working for a consulting company the target ERP systems would be varied. The immediate use cases I see for NWC are like the iCap scenario mentioned in the keynote at InspireX. When gathering requirements for a project NWC fits nicely in the areas where we handle business logic (approvals, integrations, etc). As for actions/events that would be good to see in NWC, here is my wishlist!

• Ability to pass binary data into NWC.
  • Async/Await/Deferral  functionality that would allow you to spin something off for work and then check on it at a later time and/or wait for it to finish.
  • Try/Catch functionality that could encapsulate an action/action set. If any of the actions threw an exception/error it would allow logic to perform transient error handling or gracefully do something else.
  • Inline functions that match common things that are easily accomplished in .Net/JavaScript.
Nintex Newbie
  1. What specific Enterprise Resource Planning System (ERP) do you want to connect to? Tell us the name of the ERP vendor, and version if you can.
    • We currently have Oracle Fusion and we're using that at least for the HMC portion, but I don't think it's being utilized as the ERP. 
  2. What scenarios would you create? In other words, tell us what business processes are you trying to automate.
    • Currently, when a person changes departments (happens often in our organization), a lot of things get "left behind" in terms of permissions, access, etc. Also, HR doesn't always notify IT. I could see leveraging NWC to notify us of a record change in "Title" or "Department" and possibly even automating the permissions changes that need to occur (at least in 365).
  3. What actions and events would you want to accomplish your process?  Nintex Workflow Cloud is still being built. If you tell us what workflow actions you need to address your scenarios, we can put them in the queue for development!
    • AD integration wouldn't be bad, insofar as being able to at least read if not write to records. We currently use a SSO, Okta, and it gets all of its "directions" from AD (what group(s) a user is in), we activate the user in Okta (we have the capability to auto-activate people) Okta then provisions the user in 365 and we manually assign a license. I'd like to automate this process front to back and also have it be able to accommodate changes in existing user records (similar to the scenario above)
Nintex Newbie

Here are my thoughts...

• Many of our clients use some flavor of Microsoft Dynamics:
      • Dynamics-GP (2015 is the latest version)
      • Dynamics-AX (AX 2012 is the latest version)
      • Dynamics-NAV
      • Dynamics-SL
    • Invoice approval and Expense report approval scenarios are very common.  
    • These scenarios require robust form design features, including repeating section, SQL request, WEB request.
    • Also need expanded functionality in task management, such as FlexiTask
Automation Master
Automation Master

I just had a friend share the same sentiment for Dynamics-GP.

Automation Master
Automation Master

I receive a simple and logic request and I thought I can provide a simple solution.

Can you please add an entry in my Outlook Calendar when my Home Working Request for that date is Approved in SharePoint.

I know that you can create a .ics file but I want to avoid that.

This must me in my calendar (not in share SP calendar) as when people wants to invite me to meetings, they must know that I am not, physically, in the office.

I know, this is not ERP :) but in this case it seems that two products are not from the same company ;)

Nintex Newbie

I would like to integrate more seamlessly with Harvest and Forecast. It would be amazing to be able to easily check if timesheets are overdue, determine utilization (hours billed vs capacity), upcoming project end dates, etc. I would use this to create a record in CRM automatically, for dashboarding and historical records!

Nintex Newbie

- Microsoft Dynamics 365

- Emergency Responce

3. What actions and events would you want to accomplish your process?  Nintex Workflow Cloud is still being built. If you tell us what workflow actions you need to address your scenarios, we can put them in the queue for development!
- I would like to have error checking for certain actions (those for external connections) and the option to see the variables/values used by an action in an overview page for each workflow run so I can check the variables/values after the workflow has run. I have this last request also for Nintex Workflow on-premise

Automation Master
Automation Master

1. Type of ERP system.

The one we get lots of requests about is SAP.

2. Scenarios

Wide and varied with ERP systems.  Stock/inventory control is also popular.

3. Actions

The standard CRUD actions are a good start.  I'm not familiar with SAP enough to request commonly performed features that might require linking of certain functions and tables.  For NWC in general then logging, error handling and the ability to reference files in some of the file handling actions.  We have the file variable type now so if we can extend some actions (e.g. DocuSign, Dropbox) to make use of this data type.

Cheers,

Chris

Nintex Newbie

We are using Nintex forms for a request form, and we want to be able to print part of the form (with a button), but not the whole form.  At this point I have not figured out an easy way to custom build the print mechanism to print labels based on specific fields within the form, and have the ability to have multiple options for printing (like print label A, print label B, etc).

I also like the idea of integration with other systems but worry about the security issues inherent in doing that (as Nintex is in the cloud and most ERP systems are within the firewall of the institution).  I'm wondering how that would be handled to protect IP information.

Thanks for the opportunity to ask!

Automation Master
Automation Master
  1. SAP and Dynamics 365
  2. Order creation, inventory estimates, account detail updates and creations, quick reporting on monthly trends
  3. CRUD ops as well as mass updates. I'm helping a customer move inventory from an outdated system to SAP. They have monthly inventory/catalog updates. Some updates include hundreds of changes to products that come detailed via excel. Then there is the image updates that has always been manual before.
Automation Master
Automation Master
  1. Salesforce
  2. Mobile app for sales and recruiting team to add leads into Salesforce and public web forms
  3. Escalations and Delegations would be nice and also attach a document to an email
Automation Master
Automation Master

1. SAP + webMethods

2. managing data transfers between different type of systems (ERP, MES, SCADA...) across different locations/business units

3. transfer binary data

Nintex Newbie
  1. SAP
  2. Connect Salesforce, Sharepoint, SAP to solve business cases
  3. CRUD services to interact with salesforce and SAP
Nintex Newbie

Hi Ben,

We actually have the ability to attach a document to an email with either the "Send an email" action or the "Express Approval" action. We recently released the ability to store a file as a variable for use in the workflow. Just create a variable of type = file, and then use the "Set variable value" action to designate the path of the file in an EFSS system. You can then use that variable in the email actions in the "File attachments" field.

Later, we intend to streamline this experience a bit more, as well as add the ability to get the file from other SaaSs, such as Salesforce.

Thanks!

Nintex Newbie

Hi Marian, can you please clarify which version(s) of SAP? 

Nintex Newbie

Hi Manfred, can you please clarify:

1.) Which version(s) of SAP?

2.) Can you elaborate on what "business cases" you are hoping to solve?

Thanks!

Automation Master
Automation Master

6.0 currently

Nintex Newbie

1. SAP ERP 7.5

2. create quotes

Automation Master
Automation Master

Thank you I am going to play around with the new file var. I didn't know it was there.

Automation Master
Automation Master

1) Dynamics 365, SAP, any and all!

2)Being able to interact with their APIs , to put data into the system and get data out of the systems.

3) I like the idea of CRUD operations. It all comes down to being able to move the data in and out of the two systems. Being able to hand different types of data would be extremely helpful... be that in the form of files, or even streams of data. I could see workflow filling the gap that some ESB software have filled in the past and being able to connect disparate systems making them feel truly unified.

Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee
  1. SAP and Salesforce.
  2. Expense reporting, audit tracking, and incident management.
  3. Real time updates and interactive reporting (Power BI).
Not applicable

Hi, All!

I (finally) got around to awarding the points/badge for this mission. Sorry for the delay!  If you want to ensure you got the award, follow this path:  avatar(upper right)>view profile>reputation>missions.  If you don't see it right away, be sure to filter by newest first.  

Thanks for taking part! I won't be so tardy on the ‌ rewards! And that one comes with a jar of candy, not just points.  :)

Nintex Newbie

Current use cases:

- MS Dynamics CRM (online, cloud) creates customers which should be synchronised to MS Dynamics AX 2012 (on-premise)

- A won CRM opportunity should create:  

• an AX project with item requirements
  • in AX a link to the CRM opportunity
  • a Sharepoint site for the AX project