Lucky You, there's New Form Features!

Badge +9

UPDATE: NOW AVAILABLE IN NINTEX FORMS FOR OFFICE 365!

To alleviate some of the madness of March, Nintex Forms for On Premises and Office 365 has added two great new features, Save and Continue and the ability to redirect forms. Let's take a look at form redirects first.

Redirect URL

Nintex Forms had provided the ability to redirect to a different page after forms submission, but now Nintex Forms provides the ability to apply a different redirect per button. If a user selects the "Save" button, they can redirect to a "Thank You" page or to a follow up form. However, if you wish to redirect a user to a different page if they select the "Cancel" button, (as a "Thank You" page would be an odd choice) the form redirect can send the user elsewhere.

In the "Button" control setting, expand the 'Advanced' section. There, you will find the "Redirect URL" field. 

Enter the URL of the page you wish to redirect the user to after the button has been clicked, and that's it! Simple setup, but one that offers a better user experience. 

While still in the "Buttons" setting configuration, let's take a look at the new Button Action setting, Save and Continue.

Save and Continue

Virtual show of hands, how many of you have had to deal with a long form, where halfway through you get distracted and before you finish the form, your session is terminated? I know, it stinks. But now, that will be a concern of the past as Nintex now offers the Save and Continue option!

In the "Button" control settings window, click on the 'Button action' drop down. There will be the new option of Save and Continue. 

Using the 'Save and Continue' button action type will allow the user to save the current progress of the form, which in turn creates the item in the list, but does not close the open form. The end user will notice the form refresh with the current information still loaded in the form.

One great feature of the 'Save and Continue' action type is that it disregards submission validation. If the end user has yet to reach a required portion of the form, they shouldn't be required to fill that section out to save their progress. 

In the initial roll out of this feature, due to an item being created in the list, one may be concerned with a workflow starting due to new item creation. It is recommended that if using the 'Save and Continue' action type for your button, include a condition (Filter, starting condition) that will look to see if the item has met a required value to start the workflow. Including a Boolean true/false column that will execute a workflow if the form has been completed is one option. One way to set a column value with a status is to connect the button control to a column to set a value. The button control can be connected in the "Advanced" setting section of the control settings. 

For an awesome overview on emulating draft functionality in Nintex Forms, follow Dan Stoll‌'s blog post here!

Feel free to add any comments below as we love to see how you would use these features in your environment!

25 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

*raises virtual hand*

Badge +9

The struggle was real!

Badge +7

Great post and great improvement to the product!

Two things regarding "Save and Continue":

- If you have a mandatory field (e.g. Title-Column), it's not possible to save and continue, as long as you haven't entered any data into the field. (Which makes sense I guess)
Use a form rule to define mandatory fields. It's more flexible (conditional mandatory fields based on a Status) anyway!

- "Save and Continue" is not (yet?) available on Task Forms. Looking Forward to see this functionality for Task Forms as well.

Badge +7

Barcelona and now this.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Awesome, this opens up a lot more possibilities.  

Badge +3

Awesome.

Badge +3

Very excited for these new features!! Please keep 'em coming, Euan Gamble 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

no offense, but can not abstain from posting it...

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Great work team!!  Keep 'em coming!

Badge +8

Perfect .. "Save and Continue" .. the wait is finally over .. most awaited feature to come out .. .. Good work   

Badge +7

We will definitely get this version in our next change control!!  Great new feature.  We need more features like this coming through faster though...I like your post mentioning the time to completion ‌...3 years?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

In Nintex's defense, I do see that they are hiring like crazy right now - especially for forms developers and whatnot - so I think they are aware of this issue.

Badge +2

This feature is available for 2013 or later right?!

Badge +2

Does anyone know if this update in included in Nintex Forms 2013 (2.9.3.0)?  If not what is the version update?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi Rodney, it was released in version 2.10.0.0.  You can find the version history here.

Cheers,

Chris

Badge +2

Thanks Chris!

Badge +3

The link above with the version histories only goes up to 2.9.4.0 . where is the 2.10?

Badge +4

Hi ,

did you reach this version 2.10.0.0 ?????, if yes pls give me the link , coz I search a lot I cant found it

Badge +8

Strange. The info about 2.10.0.0 has been removed. It was there for sure. I cannot say why because, well, I do not know

Badge +4

After run nintexform2013.exe to get last version, everything is ok till i go the central administration then nintex form management- then manage databases i got error ((

OBject reference is not set to an instance of an object."

anyone know why?!

i check the connection string via sharepoint powershell its correct 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

the info on 2.10.0.0 seems to be back there again, plus there appeared new release 2.10.0.2

Badge +10

This is wonderful

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi ‌,

Yes this for Nintex Forms for SharePoint 2013, 2016 and Office 365.

Badge +16

Sean Fiene‌ is there a restriction on where you can redirect to with the button redirect url?

‌ is having an issue with this on this thread

Badge +9

Can "save" be only save and close. As i think "save" and "save and submit"  functions the same way as of this documentation: Button control