Dynamic Questionnaire Survey Form

• 19 January 2017
  • 8 replies

Badge +7

Hello!

Thought I'd share this simple idea with you guys. I had a request in to create a form with about 15 questions and gather responses. Rather than create a bespoke list and form I looked into creating a solution that would allow anyone to create a questionnaire and send it out to anyone in the company.

My solution uses two lists. One to Create the Questionnaire Group and one to hold the tasks for each user generated by a workflow. The task list can easily be connected to excel allowing simple pivots to show the status of each questionnaire. IE who has yet to fill in the form!

Questionnaire Form example...

It allows you to configure various items. The email text that goes out with the task, who it's from and so on. A form can have up to 25 questions, each with it's own set of answers in the drop down. Finally who you want to target. Using a list of users, I use SQL within my workflow to lookup logons based on your choices of Office. department etc.

Once the questionnaire group has been filled in, the user can generate the tasks. The workflow looks up the users from your choice and for each logon generates a task.

The Questiongrouplookup is part of the magic. The Question task list has a lookup field to the Questionnaire group. So when creating the task and adding the ID of the Questionnaire group, you have a lot of the fields useful to you when creating task views.

One thing I wanted to do was have it so that if I've generated 100 question tasks, and there is a spelling mistake in a question or answer, rather than having to refresh or re create the tasks, I wanted the form on opening to lookup all the current detail from the Question Group.

Question Form Example...

You can see from the above example the questions and answer options are being pulled from the Question Group.

I use the lookup function to pull in the questions.

The source for the answers is gathered by using the lookup field to the questionnaire group.

197808_pastedImage_9.png

Question Group Lookup column.

197809_pastedImage_10.png

I've included the List templates to get you started...

Tony.

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Great self-service solution

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Very cool.  I haven't looked at your form (being lazy today) but I'm guessing you've got conditional hides on the questions if the question is blank? e.g. If they only have 3 questions in their questionnaire, the remaining "blank" questions are hidden.

Badge +7

Thanks and yes! Some simple rules in place. Each Question has an answer, grouping and comments field. So Q21,Q21A, Q21G and Q21C for example.  The rule is attached to all 4 and simply hides them all if Q21 is blank.

I also added a border split for each question. It allows you to put a header against Q1 and Q5 for example and then hides the border split if the header above it is blank. Gives dynamic grouping of questions and makes it easier to read I think.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Like++

Badge +9

Hi Anthony Parker

Thanks for sharing your solution, this will definitely help a lot of people, especially that the Nintex forms are not supported on SharePoint surveys..yet..  

The attachment is not working for me. I saved it as a list template and then when tried to create a new list based on the list template it gave an error that the list doesn't exist. 

List does not exist. The page you selected contains a list that does not exist. It may have been deleted by another user.

Correlation ID:fc0c3d9e-c906-8017-da4b-47e4347d6338

Could you please include may be the .xml for the form or another copy of the list export? 

Thanks again. 

Badge +7

Hi, you would need to create the group list first and then the Task list. I'm guessing the error is in the task list because it's lost the connection of the lookup field to the group list field. You would need to delete and recreate.

Hello Anthony Parker,

I'm having the same issue here as Christine. I created both lists (started with the questions group as you mentionned). Result on both lists : 

List does not exist. The page you selected contains a list that does not exist. It may have been deleted by another user

Could you please re-upload the files ? This is a fantastic example for demo scenarios  

Thanks.

Badge +7

Ok so I took my list templates and tried them fresh in my UAT and you are correct. They don't work ;)

For the Group list, delete the following lookup columns. TaskDepartment, TaskTitles, TaskOffices and QuestionGroupDept. I use these as a lookup for the workflow to generate who to generate the tasks for.

For the Task list, Delete QuestionsAssignedLookup. I use this for looking up staff info for reports.

Now you need to delete QuestionGroupLookup and then recreate it by pointing at the QuestionGroupList. That gives you the link from the task list to the grouplist.