Automate Chrome or IE tasks with Nintex RPA

• 14 April 2020
  • 3 replies

If you have a requirement to automate tasks with Chrome or Internet Explorer, Nintex RPA can help you out. Nintex RPA allows you to configure actions that will replicate clicks, keystrokes and copy methods to push and pull data from the web. Some of the most common actions used are 'Send Value', 'Select Item', 'Click' and 'Get Value'. And we will cover these popular actions below as we navigate an FDIC page:

7279i03FD681776E76EB6.png

Targeting

7276i1C18F4D058542315.png

7278i430831A5D432274E.png

When using Nintex RPA to interact with either Chrome or IE, you will need to use the targeting tool.The targeting tool looks like a crosshair and it’s located at the upper left corner of the Nintex RPA app. You must click-and-hold the crosshair icon and hover over the portion of the web page you’d like to interact with. Once you are highlighting the part of the page you’d like to select, you can then release the crosshair. After releasing, you will be re-routed to Nintex RPA and see a list of tailored actions that you can use to interact with the highlighted portion of the web page. You’ll need to use this targeting method for all actions Nintex RPA supports for Chrome and IE.

Send Value:

7280i5B004D3C550C1F07.png

If you target a field within a web page that7281iB99E6727CA601DE5.png accepts text values, you can perform a send value action. Use the targeting method above to highlight a text field and upon release, select the ‘send value’ action. In the action menu, you can opt to send the field a static value or a dynamic value from your variable values cached in Nintex RPA.

Select Item

7283i675E5694A962FC38.png

If you target a field within a web page that forces the selection of a value from a dropdown, you can use the ‘select item’ action to forward a specific option in the list. This action will be able to draw all values from the dropdown and present them to you for static entry. You can also use variable data cached in Nintex RPA instead of a static value.

7284iE27B4F0FE72A8291.png

7285i968E14B58A88BDCB.png

Click:

7286i2925B9166014BBF9.png

If you target a button, link or tab within a web page, you can leverage the ‘click’ action to script a7287i316EB1BDB8507A9D.png Nintex bot press on the control. If you target the button and choose the ‘click’ option in the tailored list of actions, the bot will be scripted to simply push the button. This is often needed to navigate to different pages or complete a search in a web app.

Note that you do not need to use the ‘click’ action to click into text fields. The ‘Send Value’ action will automatically click into these fields prior to sending a value.

Get Value

7288i528CAC8702D2F9F9.png

If you are on a web page that contains content 7289i13C04B521EF05A7C.pngyou’d like to retrieve, you can leverage the ‘Get Value’ action to scrape the information from the web page and push it to another application. By targeting the area of the page where the value is located, you can choose the ‘Get Value’ action. The action details will show a preview of the value targeted. From there, you can choose to store the value into a variable within RPA. This variable can then be used in a ‘Send Value’ action later on in a bot flow.

7290i3B3FE0E4D03BE871.png

7291i1377E13C40550774.png

Things to know

If you wish to use Chrome with Nintex RPA, you’ll need Nintex RPA version 16.5 or higher. If you have an older version of Nintex RPA, you can get the latest version here. .

You will also need to install a chrome extension so Nintex RPA can highlight the web page controls you target. You can install the extension here.

3 replies

This action will be able to draw all values from the dropdown and present them to you for static entry. wings io htm5 games.

Question, I'm just starting to build bots that interact with websites and I'm having issues with targetting when I train someone else to run the bot.  I built the bot locally on my desktop and then had her try to run it locally as well.  We made sure her display settings were at 100% but it's like the targetting is imprinted on the machine it's created on.  

I then opened the bot on a remote desktop connection (albeit under my username) and then had her remote in as well to try (thinking it'd be more "static" but there were still issues and getting 'target not found' errors.  Wondering if anyone else has experienced this?  I'm now testing out scheduling on a remote desktop connection (static username) but having some issues with the scheduler running properly.

I forgot to mention that I'm using Chrome.  Thanks!