explanation of WorklistItem.Status property

• 26 August 2005
  • 6 replies

Badge +4
hi all,

i'm looking to understand the difference between the Statuses that a WorklistItem can have

i'm new to K2 and working my way through the training guides to create a Windows application to do my client side interaction with the users for any client events within my process(es)

i am using the OpenWorklistItem method which seems to automatically set the status to Open, but when does it become allocated?

when i use the Release method, the status still says Open

can anyone help me understand this a little better?

many thanks,

Wes

6 replies

Badge +9
Hi Wez,

Imagine the following scenario:

I have an activity called Approval , the destination rule assigns a task to 5 users (A, B, C, D, E). The slots property of the Activity is set to 3. During runtime a worklist item gets created for each user.

All users open the worklist (Do not click on the item on any of the worklists)

A Available
B Available
C Available
D Available
E Available

User A clicks on his item to load the client page, this action causes the statuses to change as illustrated below:

A Open
B Available
C Available
D Available
E Available

Note: 1 slot allocated, 2 more required, that s the reason for the others to remain available.

User C clicks on his item to load the client page, this action causes the statuses to change as illustrated below:

A Open
B Available
C Open
D Available
E Available

Note: 2 slots allocated, 1 more required, that s the reason for the others to remain available.

User B clicks on his item to load the client page, this action causes the statuses to change as illustrated below:

A Open
B Open
C Open
D Allocated
E Allocated

Note: the allowed slots taken, K2.net Server will not allow any of the remaining users to interact with the allocated items.

A Worklist item can also have a Sleep status, this occurs once the user sleeps the item for a certain period of time.
Releasing an item will cause the status of that item to change to Available

Using the OpenWorklistItem to open a specific item is 100% correct, please refer to the K2ROM object model documentation part of the K2.net Help File for the available overloads on this method. You can control whether the item should be opened or not based on the parameters past.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Badge +4
many thanks for the reply Renier, that does make it much clearer

i've now looked at the OpenWorkListItem method doucmentation in the help file. I'd previously only looked at the Open method for a WorklistItem and assumed that the rest of the documentation was as sparse! :roll:

What threw me a little was as i stepped through the code to see what was happening, after calling the Release method on a WorklistItem, the Status property doesn't change and still says Open. After closing the connection and re-opening the worklist, the item's Status property has returned back to Available so i know the Release method has worked. Could this just be a bug with the public property not getting updated immediately?
Badge +9
Hi, you do not have to close the connection, simply Refresh the worklist by using the OpenWorklist method again, this is one of the tradeoffs for performance . Also have a look at the WorklistCriteria object in the K2ROM documentation, this can be handy.
Badge +11

Hi renier

IS the open operation of some task recorded in the K2serverLog database.

Badge +11

Can you please help me on this issue

Badge +11

any help with this issue will be most appreciated