Mechanism by which the sleeping workitems wake up time is checked

• 20 August 2009
  • 4 replies

Badge +11

Hi

How does k2 handle the wake up time of the sleeping workitems?

I want to know that because i want to check if this has effect on the server perormance - if it is handled by a job in sql server it will consume lots of resources checking the end time every minute or so-.

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hi Bashar,

I cannot comment on exactly how it works, but do know that there are two stored procs that are used: kWorklistItemSleep and kWorklistItemWake. These are located as part of the K2Server database. 

And as always, keep in mind the editing, modification or changing any of the K2 databases in anyway is unsupported.  

Badge +11

My Main concern is performance degradation due to the resource consumption driven by the sleeping workitems.

is there a maximum to the allowed sleeping work items.

Badge +8

I don't think it will have a noticeable impact in performance. What happens is that the K2 Server will place all Asynchronous "things" in a table (Sleep items, Start Rules, Escalations, etc), with very little information about the event. Only the Process Instance ID, date to fire, etc.

The K2 Server will then periodically scan this table (if there are free threads) to see if there are things to do. It does not hold any resources for the event, hence the minimal impact. And there is no Maximum allowed Sleep items.

Badge +11
Thanks alot for both