Informational Worklist Item?

• 28 October 2009
  • 3 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +1

I've developed a custom worklist that uses tabs to split work based on Workflow Step.  With that in mind I'm asking a potentially stupid question:

Is there a way to have a client event that will show up in a worklist that does not require any user interaction to complete?  Here is the scenario:

I have a document routed initially to our Membership department.  The membership actioner can then optionally send the document to two other departments for review.  When this happens the process instance passes out of membership's view until the other departments are finished reviewing.  I've used preceding rules on another client activity called (ReviewComplete) that waits for the two departments to finish before becoming available in memberships worklist.  I would like for membership to have a worklist item (InReview) that links to a page that just gives some status information.  But I don't want membership to have to action it to have this item dissapear and move to (ReviewComplete).

Does anyone have an idea how I could do this?

Thanks.

Paul

3 replies

Badge +2

Have you looked in to using the K2 reporting objects?  I believe that you'll be interested in the ProcessInstanceActivities (name escapes me right now) smartobject.  It'll list all of the current steps within a given process instance.

Badge +1

I haven't. Is this something I can query using the API?  I'll take a look. Thanks for the information.

Badge +5

Suggestion:  After the membership actioner sends the document to the other departments (client event), write data to a SQL table (SmartBox is way easy here) and have your custom 'worklist' just read from that table rather than calling K2 Worklist API which is more expensive anyway.  After the other departments have completed their work, delete the row(s).  Since there is no requirement for 'Actioning' a worklist item on that tab, it is more of a report and there is no need to put extra load on the K2 server to retrieve work.  Just read data from SQL.