\ended unexpectedly\" message/alternatives"

• 6 November 2017
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hey Everyone, do you know if it's possible to change the message a user receives when a workflow is ended "unexpectedly?"

I  have a workflow that I would like to run as long as the project status is not equal to "complete." I built a second workflow that kicks off when the status column is changed to "complete" that ends the currently running project workflow. The user does not like the error message that the workflow has ended "unexpectedly," because it was technically expected.

I tried to add a run if action but it only checks the status after each action is complete, which could take time. Is there another way to do this so I can customize a message or how do I change the template message sent for all workflows? I just don't like the word "unexpected."

Thanks

Kassie

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Is this on prem v20??

Are you using the Terminate action in the second workflow and customized the message in the terminate action?

Is the current running workflow in a loop state or wait for state when it is ended?

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

On Prem v2.10.0.0

Not sure if that's the version you're referencing. I'm using the Terminate Workflow action but there's no option for a custom message.

The current workflow could be in a loop state when it's terminated, just depends on how far along it is when the status is changed to complete.

Thanks

Kassie

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sorry, I meant was it 2010 or 2013. But I found it was End Workflow action that allows the custom message and not terminate workflow. By terminating, the unexpected message most likely would continue to be posted. But maybe you can manipulate that loop the workflow is in? have the terminating workflow set the status of the current item to something like 'Stopped', then in the loop or a state machine, or anywhere in the workflow, if Stopped was reported, then End Workflow. So the current workflow can stop itself, but the other workflow is manipulating the scenario.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

And just to be clear, we are not looking into the Emails of cancelled workflows correct? More on the emails can be found here  

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

I am talking about the template Nintex sends to the initiator when the workflow has ended.It looks like the same message that goes out in the linked thread above. I see where you can change the settings of who receives it, can you changes what is said in the message?

Thanks

Kassie 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes you can specify the message as well,

workflow%20error0.png

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

I sent this over to my SharePoint Sys Admin and he is telling me this:

"I found the page he referenced in the blog – but I cannot find a place to put in a message.  The boxes available are  - yes/no and add additional users to get the error.

But not a place to put in a message."

We're running 2013 SP on Prem.

Thanks

Kassie

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

That's right, I didn't read the full label there that messages can be redirected to others, but not change the message.

https://help.nintex.com/en-US/nintex2013/help/#Workflow/RootCategory/Configuration/Nintex.Workflow.WorkflowErrorNotifica… 

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Well darn. I was really hoping we could configure it. Oh well, I'll just have to break the news to my users.

Thanks so much for your help ‌!

Kassie