Avoid \Workflow has been cancelled\" mail?"

• 23 September 2014
  • 10 replies

Badge +1

We have a workflow designed to cancel a state machine "from the outside" using the nintex web service to terminate. Are there any way to avoid the "Workflow has been cancelled" email, as this is done on purpose and we don't need the information?

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Managing workflow error notification settings

The Workflow error notification settings provides the options to specify to whom workflow error

and cancellation notifications are sent.

Workflow error and cancellation notification can be set globally for the web farm, a specific site

collection or individual sites.

To set the workflow notification settings for the web farm:

• Navigate to SharePoint Central Administration.
  • In the Quick Launch, click on Nintex Workflow Management, then Workflow error notifications.

Note: By default the settings will inherit from the parent settings. A site will inherit its settings

from the site collection and a site collection from the farm. If the setting is changed at a specific

level, it will no longer inherit the settings from the parent.

To set the workflow notification settings for the site collection:

• Navigate to the top level site home page.
  • In the Settings Icon , click on Site Settings.
  • In the Nintex Workflow section, click on Workflow error notifications.
  • Click on Switch to site collection level settings.

To set the workflow notification settings for a site:

• Navigate to the site level home page.
  • In the Settings Icon , click on Site Settings.
  • In the Nintex Workflow section, click on Workflow error notifications.

Workflow Error and Cancellation Notification Settings

The Send notifications to the workflow initiator option notifies the user who started the workflow

if the workflow errors or is cancelled.

For additional users to be notified when a workflow errors or is cancelled, specify the email address

of the user in the Specify other email addresses that will receive the notifications text field.

Notifications can be turned off by selecting No for Send notifications to the workflow initiator and

leaving the Specify other email addresses that will receive the notifications text field empty.

Badge +1

True, thats what the manual says happy.png

What I'm looking for is a way to only affect the cancellation mails when I run certain administrative workflows, where the "mass cancellation/termination" is a controlled process.

Thus, I want to specify from inside my current workflow, that this particular call to TerminateWorkflowByNameListItem shouldn't result in a cancellation mail.

I'm working on huge lists, and are trying to avoid 4.000 mails being sent - no matter whether they are adressed to the original initiator or an administrator... and I would like the functionality to work for other workflows meanwhile, and thus cannot implement the suggestion above.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So you need to have the termination email off for some, but not for other workflows. Because you cannot configure it within the workflow itself you will have limited options.

You could move the large workflow that you want it always off for into its own list. Then the site's configuration will be separate from the other workflows elsewhere.

If you want to cancel 4000 at one time, you could temporarily turn it off for the farm and perform the cancel. Then switch it back on.

You could also shut off the smtp router if there is one local to the farm for that period of time. But the workflow will log an error when attempting to send out the email in this case.

Moving the list and workflow to its own site is probably your best option.

Badge +1

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for trying happy.png

Seems there are no good answer to this.

The list cannot be moved into a separate site, as it is part of a larger process.But I agree with you entirely in your suggestions above - although none of them are applicable in this particular case.

I guess all there is left is to leave this unresolved, and leave it as a feature suggestion for the Nintex Team happy.png

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I'm facing the same issue.

As suggested, I've added a feature request on the uservoice site :

workflow cancelled : choose to send email notification – Customer Feedback for Nintex

Don't hesitate to add your vote !

Badge +7

I'm assuming two years later we still don't have a solution?

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I've put in place the following workaround : in production environnement all workflow error mails are sent to a shared mailbox then a rule has been configured to put mails which subject is "Workflow cancelled" to "Deleted Items" folder.

Hope this helps

Badge +8

SharePoint 2010: The "Workflow Error & Cancellation Notification" settings are not working for us.  We have set it to NOT notify the initiator in both the Central Admin and the site collection.  However, the initiator is still being notified when a workflow error occurs.

Thanks,

Bruce

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Could you check also at site level? If you have previously customized the settings at site level (maybe adding recipients), then a change in an upper level wan't change a custom settings..

Badge +8

Yup, I finally did check in the right place (site level) and found that everything works as expected. Thanks for the reply.