IPC Server child process does not start and no errors occur

• 7 December 2007
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

I have a parent process that is supposed to kick off a child process. However, it does not. There are no errors generated in K2 or in the event log on the server. In the K2 workspace when I look at the process in the report view, everything is green, and appears to indicate the process was kicked off. In the past we've had problems with the IPC Server event not functioning properly due to antivirus software being turned on. However, we turned the antivirus software off on the server but that did not change anything. We have these same two processes running in production and I've checked settings that I know to check and they seem to be the same on the two servers.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might cause this to occur?

Thanks,

Holly

5 replies

Badge +10
Both processes involved in the IPC call are on the same server?  Are you doing anything special for security?  How are you passing the child process data?  How much?  is it synchronous or asynchronous
Badge +1

Yes, both processes call the "k2test" server. Security is set at the defaults when you create the IPC Server Event. I am passing the child process data In/Out. There are 13 fields being passed. It is asynchronous.

It may be helpful to note that the same thing works on the k2 server, which is our production server. The only difference is that I've added a couple of fields. I tried getting the the IPC server event to run without the 2 new fields but that didn't work either.

I almost think there is a setting on the server that is causing the problem but I don't know what that setting could be. The event log doesn't show any errors.

Thank you!

Holly

Badge +10

Very strange, I cant recall seeing this type behavior before. Has anyone else encountered this?

I will ask around some of my sources.

Badge +11

Well, one thing that caught my eye was...

"I am passing the child process data In/Out. There are 13 fields being passed. It is asynchronous."

When using an ASync IPC event, data cannot be passed back to the parent process since the parent process will not wait for the child to finish before continuing.

If you need to pass data back and forth, you'll need to use Sync IPC events.

HTH,

Ockert

Badge +10

DOH, I always get synchronus and asynchronous confused. 

Holly try changing that and see what happens