SQLUM vs ACTIVE DIRECTORY

Badge +9

Hi All,

What is the difference between SQLUM and ActiveDirectory(AD) ?

11 replies

Badge +11

Hi sourcecode,

The difference lies in the source of your user information.  ADUM uses LDAP queries to retrieve users from and authenticate users against Active Directory.  SQLUM uses ADO.NET queries to retrieve users from and authenticate users against a MSSQL database.

Hope this makes sense,

Ockert

Badge +9

Hi Ockert,

Thanks a lot for replying .

I have one query :

I am using SQLUM instead of AD.

Whwnever I try to add  a destination user in an activity , I am able to do so perfectly. In the "Data Source"  block , it is displaying Active Directory instead of showing SQL Data Source.

But whenever I try to use Redirect Escalation , I am not able to access SQLUM . By default in the "Data Source"  block , it is displaying Active Directory instead of showing SQL Data Source.

Can U pls throw light on as to why this is happening ?

Badge +11

Hi sourcecode,

Ok, you said:

"Whwnever I try to add  a destination user in an activity , I am able to do so perfectly. In the "Data Source"  block , it is displaying Active Directory instead of showing SQL Data Source."

A bit contradictory -  You're using SQLUM, it displays AD data, and you're still able to do it perfectly?

The fact that you can not see SQLUM users in the Redirect Escalation is a limitation of the Redirect Escalation - it only works with ADUM (in the wizard UI) - you should be able though to add SQLUM users in the code behind the Redirect Escalation.

HTH,

Ockert

Badge +9

Hi Ockert,

Thanks a lot for replying.

My mistake.

The following line

"Whwnever I try to add  a destination user in an activity , I am able to do so perfectly. In the "Data Source"  block , it is displaying Active Directory instead of showing SQL Data Source."

has a typing mistake form my side.

Actually Whenever I try to add  a destination user in an activity , I am able to do so perfectly. In the "Data Source"  block , it is displaying SQL Data Source."

The problem was with Redirect escalation.

Thanks a lot for providing a solution.

I will try using code and if I face any problem I will again take ur help.

Badge +9

Hi All,

What are the advantages of using SQLUM over AD ?

Badge +7
I used the SQLUM when i needed to let a user that is not situated in the active directory to access the K2 (give him a task)
Badge +9

In general, the SQLUM was to cater for environments which do not have an Active Directory or do not use the Active Directory for destination routing.

It is still preferably to use AD if the environment permits as AD scales better than a single SQL database.  i.e. you can easily add more domain controllers.

Badge +9

Hi All, 

Thanks a lot for replying.

Badge +1

Hi sourcecode,

You should also look at K2's Multi-User Manager (MUM), which is a hybrid of the SQL UM and AD, allowing you to reference users from both sources should the need arise. This is an add-on for K2.Net 2003, and is apparently incorporated in BlackPearl.

We currently use it in several of our processes, as we use AD for routing to users inside the company, and the SQL users for people outside of the company.

Regards,
  Mark.

Badge +13
How does the user get on the network if he is not on AD?    Does he use a generic logon ID then use a separate logon ID/PW for K2 Workflow?
Badge +9

Peter,

In a SQLUM environment, K2 has no knowledge and does not care how someone gets authenticated into the network, because the network credentials are never used by K2.  Thus anytime a user interacts with K2 (Workspace, ASP.NET pages...) their credentials (ID and PWD on record in the SQLUM tables) must be passed in.  This is usually manifested in application specific login screens or programatically.  For example, in a SQLUM environment, when someone browses to K2.net Workspace they are presented with a login page, as opposed to seamlessly entering the app.