Will looping fix my workflow issue?

Badge +8

I have a site workflow that is scheduled to move items from one list to another list every night based off of the due date being less than or equal to today. It is then supposed to, update that due date to tomorrow's date and clear out specific fields to get it ready for the next morning's review.  I am having issues getting it to move and update every line item. I am not sure if looping will correct this as I have never used the loop action. I can't find anything on here on it. I have attached my workflow for reference. Thanks in advance

Cassy FreemanPatrick AbelFrank FieldPhilipp LucasRyan DuguidEmily Billingjenn kelleyJamie TruranCeline BaldeviaJason Siebert

18 replies

Badge +11

Hello Josh Shutts,

Your workflow seems to be fine. Are you getting any error or the items are not being copied? For Each is a loop that you have configured already and you have to use this in order for the items to be copied to another list.

I'm not in the list of ppl you tagged, still taking a shot at it happy.png

Badge +8

Hi Kapil

Thanks for responding. The list of people are people who I have came in contact with and have helped me and talked with me one time or another. So feel free to chime in anytime!

I am not getting any error. Every morning it says the workflow completed successfully, but I have been having to manually move some items. Some are copying  to the other list and some are not. I haven't figured out any rhyme or reason.

Badge +11

After create item action, add Commit pending changes action or where ever it is updating the items. The For Each does not enforce safe looping and hence might be running through the items quickly and skipping before they are created in another list.

Badge +16

how did you get on Josh Shutts

Badge +8

Cassy Freeman​, still running into the same issue. Works fine sometimes, and others it doesn't. Haven't put my finger on it yet.

Badge +16

did you try Kapil Joshi​'s suggestion?

Badge +8

Yes I did.

Badge +16

so is it every night that it is missing some?  does it depend on how many it has to process?

Badge +8

Cassy Freeman I don't appear to have a problem with the "create items" to another list. But the issue is coming from the "Update Items". It's not always clearing out the fields that it created to another list, and not always updating the old due date to tomorrow.

Badge +16

so it never misses a create item?  but sometimes doesn't update the item.  and there's no similarities with the items it doesn't update?  I don't want to download the workflow - can you screenshot the for each part please, and the update item to config to refresh my memory.

Badge +8

I haven't found any similarities. But doesn't appear to have missed any create items. Here are the screenshots.

I am running parallel actions but it's happening for both. Updating items to blank except for due date. Using my variable of "tomorrow" for due date which is today plus one that I created in the calculate date,

185850_pastedImage_0.png

185851_pastedImage_1.png

185864_pastedImage_2.png

185865_pastedImage_3.png

Badge +16

why parallel actions?

Badge +8

I am running parallel because I have 2 scenarios to remove from the main list and send to 2 different lists. 1st scenario is that if the review has NOT been started, send to the past due report. The 2nd scenario is for the same list but take the loans that HAVE been started, but waiting on something to complete it, and send it to the pending list.

Badge +16

what if you split that into two site workflows?

Badge +8

I was having the issue before I tied the 2nd one, but I will certainly give that a try.

Badge +8

Could be Chris. I am still new to creating these workflows. Any suggestion on a good place to put a pause or 2?

Thanks for responding.

Badge +16

how did you go Josh Shutts​?

Badge +8

Hi Cassy Freeman​. I continue to have issues with site workflows missing some items. So what I did, was create another list workflow to send pending items to the pending sheet based on a review start date equal to today but a completion status not equal to yes. So it runs one by one as they are worked. Seems to be working. Still trying to figure out an alternative to moving the past due ones that are not started/completed by days end. or get my site workflow to work correctly. I have played around with it so much, I may have damaged it.